Englander pdvc over temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

roundeye

Jan 16, 2011
eastern kansas
I keep getting an over temp error. Stove feed rate is at 1 blower at 9 the other 3 buttons are at 6-4-1...but it doesn't act like the feed rate is at 1 which gives a medium size fire, it's acting like the feed rate is higher and fire is big. I cleaned the stove like the DVD showed and still same issue. Both blowers are working. I don't know what letter mine is on (abcd) not sure how to check or change that.

You can play with the first two of the bottom three numbers to fit your needs, the efficiency of your outside air kit & your flue may not be ideal for the factory settings.

I don't know what letter mine is on (abcd) not sure how to check or change that.
Default is D mode but some run stove in C mode
The factory setting for your PDVC should be D

Procedure to check the setting:

•Turn off stove
•Unplug it for a few seconds
•Plug back in
•Immediately press and hold the up and down arrows for the blower, then release.

You should see a letter in the window.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...s-wanna-share-good-stuff.104004/#post-1359302

The stove still gets really hot and flame is huge and that's with the bottom numbers at 1-2-1 and feed at 1 and fan on 9. The last time I ran it, a bag of pellets lasted 8 hours. It looked like the convection blower wasn't spinning. I pulled it off and tested it and it spins fine. Not sure what else to look at?

Was auger motor recently replaced? Did wires from lower auger and upper auger get switched?

Could the restrictor plate in the bottom of your hopper have slide open allowing more pellets to feed?

I'll check, how far open or closed should it be?
If you are over feeding close it a little. There is no set width depends on pellet quality and mostly on pellet length. Shorter pellets feed faster longer pellets feed slower.

You mentioned that you installed new augers. Check that yours are indeed 1 RPM (by eye, not the label). Englander had a bad batch that were running at 1.5 or 2 RPM which could cause an overfeed like you are seeing. This was a couple of years ago so I thought it would be fixed, but I suppose they could have received another bad batch.

Eric

I'm still having this issue. I just stopped using pellet stove toward end of last season and used my gas furnace which is way more expensive. This stove has been used for 5 years without any gaskets replaced. Could that be part of the issue. I run the stove on lowest feed rate and hopper plate closed all the way and pellet consumption is unacceptable and it gets way too hot in the house and I have to shut stove down.