englander pellet stove 25-pdv making loud high pitch harmonic wails when heats up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Alaska Zack

Nov 15, 2019
Alaska
I have the englander pellet stove 25-pdvc for three years now and after is shortly heats up a loud high pitched harmonic squeal comes and goes. It is affected and temporally quieted by increasing the blower fan settings. Ive also removed the rear cover panel and place a 1ft square fan blowing on the fan motor which really seems to help the noise go away. Please help. Im at my wits end after tons of research and replacing the combustion fan motor. Although I did just order a new OEM Blower PU-4C442 as my last ditch guess. Hopefully its just the bearings in there and the new one when it arrives and installed will solve my issue.

Are you sure it’s the blower? Mine will howl intermittently when the bottom auger tube has carbon build up at the end. The carbon seems to bind the auger and it loud

Reactions: Ssyko
can you hold your hand on the motor of the blower? is it warm or "HOT"?

Are you sure it’s the blower? Mine will howl intermittently when the bottom auger tube has carbon build up at the end. The carbon seems to bind the auger and it loud
I dont believe its due to the carbon build up. Im familiar with that noise and I have cleaned out the tunnel the lower auger rotates in and the loud high pitch still occurs.

if the motor is hot enough that you can't hold your hand on it, its probably on its way out. you could try some 3in1 oil on the shaft ends but that would only be a temp fix till you get a new one

Here is a short 2min video I made. Here you can listen to the high pitch it gives off when in a lower fan setting. I plan on replacing the blower motor/fan in the next few days. Ive already replaced the exhaust blower motor once to no avail. To be honest I dont even quite know where the noise is coming from.

Attachments

• IMG_5510 (3).mp4
    14 MB
file won't open for me on my PC

That sounds like a bad or dry exhaust blower bearings. Looks like your replacing the blower motor. You can try to spray some lube on the bearing at the end of the motor to see if that changes the sound but it will not last for long. I got my replacement online. It’s an aftermarket motor and cheaper than oem and works great

if it was on heat 2 and fan 9. and you lowered the fan and it changed pitch i would lean towards the convection motor on its way out. but I sure would pull it and get some 3in1 oil in the end shaft bearings. the silicone around your housings wont do much for hum but it will cut the harmonic vibrations from the joints, i do all mine too

That sounds like a bad or dry exhaust blower bearings. Looks like your replacing the blower motor. You can try to spray some lube on the bearing at the end of the motor to see if that changes the sound but it will not last for long. I got my replacement online. It’s an aftermarket motor and cheaper than oem and works great

I already replaces the exhaust motor once to no avail.

could it be the room blower like Ssyko said? It definitelysounds like a motor bearing . There are only 2 blower that run at that speed.

I just received the new convection blower in the mail. If this new motor/fan doesn't make that damn high pitch squeal go away im gonna throw this pellet stove off my balcony deck. Ill check back with you guys in a few days. Thank you so much for your attention and insight.

if it was on heat 2 and fan 9. and you lowered the fan and it changed pitch i would lean towards the convection motor on its way out. but I sure would pull it and get some 3in1 oil in the end shaft bearings. the silicone around your housings wont do much for hum but it will cut the harmonic vibrations from the joints, i do all mine too

Copy that. I just received a new convection blower motor in the mail. Ill let you know the results in a few days. Thanks for your insight so far.

Copy that. I just received a new convection blower motor in the mail. Ill let you know the results in a few days. Thanks for your insight so far.

All is good now. I just replaced the convection blower and its quite as kitten. Thank you for your help and insight.

Zack

Good deal! Nothing like quiet heat:)