Englander Pellet Stove Auger Not Turning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justgonefishin

Dec 20, 2014
Ontario
I have a fairly new Englander Model 55-shpepl Pellet Stove and last night the auger quit turning. I have removed the auger to clear all debris, checked all gears in motor (all seemed fine), and checked for continuity in electric motor. Ran diagnostic tests as per manual. Auger is still not turning, and I'm unsure what to try next. Any suggestions? It's a cold canadian night!

Hook the auger straight up to 110 to see if it turns, if not order a new one! The sooner you order one the quicker your warm! And welcome to the forum fellow hoser, Eh!

Last edited:
First, look for the small hole on the right hand side of the firebox right under the firebrick It's hard to see but it's there. Clean the hole out with a toothpick or something....you might also need to remove the vacuum hose and clean out. It sometimes gets clogged with ash. If that doesn't work, bypass the vacuum switch by connecting the the wires together (UNPLUG THE STOVE BEFORE DOING THIS) THEN start the stove and see if it works. If it doesn't bypass the hopper lid switch by connecting together (UNPLUG THE STOVE BEFORE DOING THIS) and see if the stove runs. Last but not least do what Skoal Man said.

My money is the vacuum switch but I'm know to be wrong....a lot....

I'll put extra funds on one of the glass fuses on the control board and even money on the vacuum switch. Usually the switch don't go bad, the port plugs up or the silicone hose has a tear it it. Take a vacuum cleaner with a small crevice tool and suck the port out from inside the firebox...eh?

Only one fuse on the board...If that's blown nothing would be lit......No way I'm bettin' though....born to lose!!!

Mine has 3 but it's a different nodel. Lets hope the OP uses some caution when fooling with the VAC switch terminals. Thats line voltage there and it's hot all the time the stove is plugged in....

Reactions: slvrblkk
Hook the auger straight up to 110 to see if it turns, if not order a new one! The sooner you order one the quicker your warm! And welcome to the forum fellow hoser, Eh!

The only way to test the auger motor!
If it operates properly, then you need to check to see if there is power to the motor and back trace to see where you are losing power.
Order two auger motors and have a spare on hand for the next cold winter night that the auger motor goes bad.

I have one spare motor just in case.

Bill

The only way to test the auger motor!
If it operates properly, then you need to check to see if there is power to the motor and back trace to see where you are losing power.
Order two auger motors and have a spare on hand for the next cold winter night that the auger motor goes bad.

I have one spare motor just in case.

Bill

+1.... Just don't get bit by the current. I keep a length of lamp cord with a plud on the end just for testing things in my electrical tool box (and some wire nuts for the connections so I don't get bit.....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.