Englander pellet stove using too many pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gussie02

Nov 6, 2019
I got a used Englander pellet stove and it is burning way too many pellets on it is only on 1. I have read that you can close the auger feed gate to cut down on the number of pellets used. I was wondering how to do this.

Ah that's one I'm very familiar with. Depending on how old it is. There is a sliding door in the bottom of the pellet hopper. I keep mine about 2/3 closed on the adjustment slot where the screw goes. that leaves about 3/4 to 1 inch open. But it all depends on pellet size. The smaller the pellets the more you need to close the door and vice versa. You say your on setting #1 . But what are your bottom 3 buttons set at? Also do a search on how to check the mode setting of the PDV just to make sure it did not jump to a higher heat setting like A or B . You should be in C or D. These control boards are for multi-able stoves and they sometimes will jump settings for no reason

What about the trap door? Mode? And exactly how many pellets are you burning over a certain period of time?

Yea that’s to many on 1. That’s typically what I would burn running on say 6-7 . You never stated mode or hopper gate

I just changed it tonight to mode c but it still seems to burning too many. What numbers to you recommend for the bottom 3?

I’m running 641 but that will feed more pellets . Did you close your gate down tighter

First off disregard my settings post. I must be dislexic or something. My bottom 3 are 461 not 641. As far as your hopper gate I have heard of guys Gerry rigging a piece of tin over the opening to cloves it down. How big are your pellets. Maybe try another brand. Is this a new issue?

Yeah is something new. We got it used last year and worked ok. The brand of pellets we have a smaller. It is a different brand than last year. Nobody local carries our old brand. Last night when I went to bed the flame was crazy and the hopper handles were even hot. During the night when I checked it the flame looked good and the handles were cool. However when I got up this morning and the flame was all over again and the hopper handles were hot again.

Yeah is something new. We got it used last year and worked ok. The brand of pellets we have a smaller. It is a different brand than last year. Nobody local carries our old brand. Last night when I went to bed the flame was crazy and the hopper handles were even hot. During the night when I checked it the flame looked good and the handles were cool. However when I got up this morning and the flame was all over again and the hopper handles were hot again.
I'm thinking the pellets are to small so its feeding way to many at a shot. Its easy enough to pick up a few bag's of another brand of pellets. Hopefully Sysko will chime in on this post. He seems to be the guy to talk to about stuff on the electronic side of thing's if its a control board issue. Have you considered giving Englander a call? there help desk is pretty good.

Sounds just like the issue I had last year with a new pellet.
You must have an older Englander stove? Mine is an 2001 with no hopper gate in the bottom of it.

Bought different brand last year and they were a lot smaller then my normal ones I buy.
No matter what setting I had the stove on, I would be blown out of the house with heat! And chew through a bag in about 8-9 hours like you... Great when the temps are really low outside but sucks on the warmer days.

My normal settings are: Mode D - bottom 3: 4/6/1 - top 2: 1 and 5 or 2 and 6
When brutally cold I change mode to C

You were doing great Rick, no need for me to jump in ;)
Well the first thing i would do is shut the stove down pull the scraper plate out and plug the 2 holes under the plate, on each side. and then modify the plate to the pictures. empty the hopper then take some aluminum ducting tape and temporarily cover the opening to the auger to half, use a couple layers so the weight of the pellets doesn't tear it 5lbs to test is good. if this helps you can make a gate out of tin. turn the stove on heat setting 1 fan 3. bottom 3 on 1.4.1 and let us know how that works.

25PDV-PDVCplate.jpg
25PDV_PDVCPOT.jpg

Measure the holes and use hillman electric plugs, lowes, HD, local hardware store, they work the best
75644D4E-782E-49CD-8C5F-840A8FA3B6D6.png

Lol thanks Ssko. I was going to suggest the burn pot mods after he slowed his burn down alittle bit. One thing on your plate mod though. I found that it works better if you drill it out a little bit bigger than the stock holes especially right in front of the auger. I also block all of my hole around the perimeter of the plate . The only holes that are open are right in front of the auger and they are bigger than stock. I would love to be able to give the size but I am up and running . If I remember this weekend when I clean it ill grab a tape and measure them for future. But I will tell you since I have done that and am using softwood I only get light fluffy grey ash . no lava pile any more.

I have 2 of your stove's little brother, the 25 PDVC (same burn pot etc), I have owned 1 since new (I believe purchased around 2005), and liked it so much I picked up a second years later for a steal to put in the small shop, these stoves are cleaned regularly throughout the season and much more thorough in the off season. One of the stoves (the one owned since new) started to go through pellets like going out of style last year, so it was removed and got a very thorough cleaning outdoors. When I say thorough, I mean all the covers removed, vac switch hoses removed, inspected blown out with air compressor (make sure disconnected from the vac switch) auger tubes dressed, the combustion blower was also removed & housing cleared. When the outdoor cleaning was done, the stove was completely ash free, all passages (make sure you remove the plate above the burn pot) were blown completely clean with air compressor to the point no dust/ash was remaining and clean air was exiting everywhere. Once everything was re-assembled, stove was re-installed and now burns like when new. I'm still using the same batch of pellets that had the excessive use before the cleaning was performed (still had 30 bags left from last year). I'm not sure your results will be the same, but its worth a shot, my use is the same now as when new.

You may also want to check your gaskets; door, glass & hopper.