Englander stove burning way too hot even with bottom bottons at 1-2-1 help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
if the cage is dirty (more mass) yes it could put more load on the motor, thus sending it into thermal shutdown. or the motor could be failing

Lets back up alttle bit. Are you sure it over heating. These stoves will kick out some serious heat with the right pellets. as far as the room / convection blower stutting off. How long does it run before that happens? That could be as simple as a vacum leak or as Ssyko stated earlier electronic. Vacum is easy to bypas temorary by pully the wires and jumping them together. there are two vacum switches so you need to jumpers

Lets back up alttle bit. Are you sure it over heating. These stoves will kick out some serious heat with the right pellets. as far as the room / convection blower stutting off. How long does it run before that happens? That could be as simple as a vacum leak or as Ssyko stated earlier electronic. Vacum is easy to bypas temorary by pully the wires and jumping them together. there are two vacum switches so you need to jumpers
It will run about 6-8 hours then turn off would that seem like a vacuum issue?

It will run about 6-8 hours then turn off would that seem like a vacuum issue?
when it shuts off is there pellets in the burn pot or doese it lool like it ran out of pellets? Almost to me seems like it stops feeding for some reason. I would think it would stut down for over heat before 6-8 hours. Maybe your new pellets are not feeding through the plate in the bottom of the hopper . meaning every now and the there is a big pellet that stops up the pellets and lets the flame go out. did you have this issue befor you changed pelet brand

when it shuts off is there pellets in the burn pot or doese it lool like it ran out of pellets? Almost to me seems like it stops feeding for some reason. I would think it would stut down for over heat before 6-8 hours. Maybe your new pellets are not feeding through the plate in the bottom of the hopper . meaning every now and the there is a big pellet that stops up the pellets and lets the flame go out. did you have this issue befor you changed pelet brand
See the flame is never shutting off tho just the convection blower then the whole stove feels hot and that's when it starts to smell.. however there is a bit off ash build up on the plate at this point

See the flame is never shutting off tho just the convection blower then the whole stove feels hot and that's when it starts to smell.. however there is a bit off ash build up on the plate at this point
So yes theres pellets still in the pot and there still coming and burning only thing that seems wrong as a pile up in the burn pot and the convection room blower isn't burning and all the heat is right in the stove

Then I am with Ssyko on this and kinda sounding like a control board issue. Or if you can figure out where the on/off temp sensor is for the room blower and check that if there is one. Did you try calling Englander?

Have you tried a reset of the control board, set back to factory settings. Set to D mode? Thermal shut off is built into the windings of the motor and are not serviceable, time to replace

Reactions: Sugentalex
Have you tried a reset of the control board, set back to factory settings. Set to D mode? Thermal shut off is built into the windings of the motor and are not serviceable, time to replace
Ssyko you say the thermal shut off is built in , but where is the sensor that monitors the temp that turns on the blower when the stove reachs temp and off when when the temp drops to a certin temp. Is that in the board?

I hi jacked this from another post .
"Heat Mode, the default setting is 'd' for the 25-PDVC, and for the 25-PDV it is 'c', but some control boards default to 'A' when a reset is done. Do not run the stove in 'A' or 'b' mode.
Unplug the stove from the mains.
Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds and then release the buttons, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left or right digital display under heat range or blower setting, you need to change this to 'd' or 'c' using the up / down buttons below that readout, or in case of the 25-PDV you need to use both buttons up or down, once set to 'd' or 'c' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds. (Sometimes the mode that you want does not set and defaults back to the mode that it was in before, repeat this step to make sure the mode that you want is set.)"

I hi jacked this from another post .
"Heat Mode, the default setting is 'd' for the 25-PDVC, and for the 25-PDV it is 'c', but some control boards default to 'A' when a reset is done. Do not run the stove in 'A' or 'b' mode.
Unplug the stove from the mains.
Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds and then release the buttons, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left or right digital display under heat range or blower setting, you need to change this to 'd' or 'c' using the up / down buttons below that readout, or in case of the 25-PDV you need to use both buttons up or down, once set to 'd' or 'c' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds. (Sometimes the mode that you want does not set and defaults back to the mode that it was in before, repeat this step to make sure the mode that you want is set.)"
Okay sounds good so mine is always in d and it's a pdv should I change it to c?

C will be even hotter. I would stay in D until you figure out the blower

The thermister is the one bolted to the back of the fire box, it controls fans and all safeties.

Reactions: Pellet rick
Don't mean to high jack the thread..
I see you changed pellets too, did all these issues start when you changed pellets?? Last year I changed pellets and have the same as you (cook you out of the house) heat from my PDVC but not the fan cutting off issue??

The only difference I've found is the length of the different pellets I used.

Each turn of the top auger crams more in the bottom auger which in turn crams more into the burn pot = more heat. Stove is an 2001 with no block off plate at the bottom of the hopper.

I changed every setting on the stove I could, cleaned it religiously and still blazing hot. Plus I don't get a full 12 hours out if a hopper fill with them either like I get with the Barefoots.
3 bottom settings..
Turman = 1 - 3 - 1 / heat 1 or 2 (depends on cold temp outside) blower 5 or 6, 6-8 hours on full hopper, D setting only
Barefoots = 4 - 6 -1 / heat 2 or 3 or 4 (depends on cold temp) blower 4 or 5, a full 12+ hours on full hopper, C or D setting

Sorry for the long dissertation!!

Don't mean to high jack the thread..
I see you changed pellets too, did all these issues start when you changed pellets?? Last year I changed pellets and have the same as you (cook you out of the house) heat from my PDVC but not the fan cutting off issue??

The only difference I've found is the length of the different pellets I used.

Each turn of the top auger crams more in the bottom auger which in turn crams more into the burn pot = more heat. Stove is an 2001 with no block off plate at the bottom of the hopper.

I changed every setting on the stove I could, cleaned it religiously and still blazing hot. Plus I don't get a full 12 hours out if a hopper fill with them either like I get with the Barefoots.
3 bottom settings..
Turman = 1 - 3 - 1 / heat 1 or 2 (depends on cold temp outside) blower 5 or 6, 6-8 hours on full hopper, D setting only
Barefoots = 4 - 6 -1 / heat 2 or 3 or 4 (depends on cold temp) blower 4 or 5, a full 12+ hours on full hopper, C or D setting

Sorry for the long dissertation!!
Yes seemed to all start when pellets were changed

Pellets can and will make a huge difference in temps but in this case does not explain the blower shutting off. Ssyko is there a way to test the Thermister?

Reactions: chasf80
He supposedly changed the thermistor, so im waiting to hear about the convection blower running on its own for an hour or so.

So got the thing working changed all gaskets changed back to different pellets the thing was working great last night just shut off completely and nothing works now wont even light up with an error code I checked fuse and it looks ok anyone know how much in scrap metal this pile of crap would be?

Did you try calling Eanglander yet? maybe they can help. Worth a try.

Try a lamp in the same outlet? Try a new fuse they can blow up inside. Breaker in the house pop?