Englander/Summers Heat - 25-PDVC / 55-SHP10... What Is or Is This Normal or Typical and my set-up..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Lot shorter pipe, probably the reason you got yours to burn cleaner...

About the wear plate, I was also thinking about the igniter, but then on start up there is like 2 cupfuls in the burn pot before mine gets started... Still, be interested in your experiment.

But for now... Well new problem, :-( Room air blower motor making a loud screeching noise comes and goes. Guess I'm going to call in and get this straighten out, soon as I get some time...lol

bret4 said:
I wonder if smoke would ever come out the air intake for the OAK in a power outage? That's the only reason I didn't try it yet. Sounds like you are getting a much better burn with out it. Keep us updated on how it goes. Would be interesting to pull the plug to see if any smoke backs up out the OAK intake without the OAK on the stove.

short answer: yes it would.

as for adding induction fans , i wouldnt recommend it. messing with air properties isnt a trivial exercise and could bring about damage to your unit.

Peggy -

Went to a HD to pick up a few bags of the Fireside Ultra's figure I would give them a try since most of the posts in another thread is mostly positive. While there, out of curiosity I went over to a 25-PDV to look at the wear plate, the first thing I noticed it didn't have the two little half circles on the auger end, and instead had 2 extra holes, even though the burn pot had the half circle cut outs. Not sure if you seen one from a 25-PDV and thought you might be interested for a comparison. Attached it the photo.

Oh just in case anyone is interested HD has the Englander Stove's on sale at 20% off... (I wonder if they would drop to the 50% like Lowes? hmmm)

Attachments

• Image031.jpg
    Image031.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 568
Thanks Bill! That's interesting. The one in your photo is the exact reverse of my original

pegdot said:
Thanks Bill! That's interesting. The one in your photo is the exact reverse of my original

So I take it that your original don't have the little half circle cut outs? On my wear plate the half circle cut-outs allow small pieces to fall under it into the bottom of the burning pot and increases the amount of ash that would block air flow. I have yet to reach that point, but it is an decrease in performance, pellet pieces that don't burn, hence no heat from them, and the pellet coals that fall, well no heat from them either. So maybe newer version here...

Quick update.

Tonight while cleaning the stove, it came to me... lol... I remembered was reading another post where the door glass gasket was left out.

When I was checking the door gasket for leaks, I never checked the glass... dahhh

So on start-up got a lighter and there it was! Air leaks in two places on the top and one on each side... So part of my problems solved - I believe anyways.

Wow! I hope replacing the gasket will fix it for you, Bill! :coolsmile:

It's funny but when I finally got to watch Mike's video and saw those big cut outs on the rear of the wear plate I thought "Ah Ha! Mine is missing those. That must be the problem!" Mike told me that my model isn't supposed to have those....oh well...back to the drawing board. lol

Bill... said:
Peggy -

Went to a HD to pick up a few bags of the Fireside Ultra's figure I would give them a try since most of the posts in another thread is mostly positive. While there, out of curiosity I went over to a 25-PDV to look at the wear plate, the first thing I noticed it didn't have the two little half circles on the auger end, and instead had 2 extra holes, even though the burn pot had the half circle cut outs. Not sure if you seen one from a 25-PDV and thought you might be interested for a comparison. Attached it the photo.

Oh just in case anyone is interested HD has the Englander Stove's on sale at 20% off... (I wonder if they would drop to the 50% like Lowes? hmmm)

bill, the wear plate in that picture is for a model 25-pdv your avatar is a 25-pdvc , which stove do you have again?if its a pdv, you have the right plate, however it is backwards , the hole patters are reversed, it was bent backwards, if you have the unit that is pictured in your avatar , you have the wrong wear plate and the unit will not burn at all correctly. if you would call my shop and i'll send you a new one thats proper number is 800-245-6489, if you get this tonight i will be in the office tomorrow (saturday) from 9-12 eastern , or call me during the week

Mike, I called in this evening wanting to go over a couple of things and talked to Lenny, but a bit to late at 4:55, so I'll be calling tomorrow. The picture was for comparison if pegdot was interested. Yes my avatar is a picture of my stove. Thanks

Bill... said:
Mike, I called in this evening wanting to go over a couple of things and talked to Lenny, but a bit to late at 4:55, so I'll be calling tomorrow. The picture was for comparison if pegdot was interested. Yes my avatar is a picture of my stove. Thanks

ok kool, i'll be in the office by 9am

stoveguy2esw said:
Bill... said:
Peggy -

bill, the wear plate in that picture is for a model 25-pdv your avatar is a 25-pdvc , which stove do you have again?if its a pdv, you have the right plate, however it is backwards , the hole patters are reversed, it was bent backwards, if you have the unit that is pictured in your avatar , you have the wrong wear plate and the unit will not burn at all correctly. if you would call my shop and i'll send you a new one thats proper number is 800-245-6489, if you get this tonight i will be in the office tomorrow (saturday) from 9-12 eastern , or call me during the week

That may help to explain things for me. After reading this thread, I checked out the wear plate on my 25-pdv and it is also bent the same way! Am I correct in understanding the previous posts that there should be more air holes in the wear plate towards the front of the stove?(the door) If so, that's probably why I'm getting a lot of unburned pellets in my burn pot. I guess I'll be calling ESW in the morning.

packerfan said:
stoveguy2esw said:
Bill... said:
Peggy -

That may help to explain things for me. After reading this thread, I checked out the wear plate on my 25-pdv and it is also bent the same way! Am I correct in understanding the previous posts that there should be more air holes in the wear plate towards the front of the stove?(the door) If so, that's probably why I'm getting a lot of unburned pellets in my burn pot. I guess I'll be calling ESW in the morning.

Hmm, seems I'm stirring the pot with that picture... Just to be clear, the picture is of a wear plate of a 25-PDV that is a store display at a local Home Depot.

Since I took the picture with my phone, transfered it to my computer, then cropped it and uploaded it, I figured I better double check the original photo and it is the same layout. So I'm sure that through the process of transferring the photo here that it is not an mirror image, maybe a mis-bent one at HD..?

Bill... said:
packerfan said:
stoveguy2esw said:
Bill... said:
Peggy -

Hmm, seems I'm stirring the pot with that picture... Just to be clear, the picture is of a wear plate of a 25-PDV that is a store display at a local Home Depot.

Since I took the picture with my phone, transfered it to my computer, then cropped it and uploaded it, I figured I better double check the original photo and it is the same layout. So I'm sure that through the process of transferring the photo here that it is not an mirror image, maybe a mis-bent one at HD..?

Mine is exactly as pictured.

LOL Now I'm confused! My stove is a PDVE and my wear plate is the reverse of the one pictured. In other words the three small holes at the back that are in a straight line, not crooked, are on the left rear of the plate. Is that what you have, packerfan? If so, I think that ours are correct and the one in the photo was somehow flipped over and then bent. I believe the side with the extra holes is supposed to be below the igniter. Have I got that right, Mike?

Status
Not open for further replies.