Englander Sweet Spot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
Loaded up the Englander 30-NCH last night for the overnight burn as usual. This time around, we had high winds and cool temps - apparently the draft was much stronger. I dampered down my stove after it hit 550ish degrees, continued to damper down until the damper was full closed. What I got was a mass of secondaries working at the top of the stove, red coals under the wood, no flames in between the two. Stove top maintained at 500 degrees and the stove ran this way for a couple of hours and I hit the sack. When I got up this morning, lots of coals to reload. That was the best overnight burn with the Englander yet!

Normally, I have some secondaries and flames working until charcoal stage. This time, as I described above, red coals at the bottom, secondaries at the top and much more coals to work with the next morning. It was almost like a cat stove burn with no flame between the top and bottom. One thing is for sure, if the wood ain't actively giving off flames, it lasts much longer!

Bill

After a week with the Englander 30, I'm learning a lot! I have yet to be able to shut it down entirely. I did the first night--because that's what we did with our Napoleon 1400--but awoke to a glass full of soot! I damper her down at about 550 ... just so that the edge of the damper spring is even with the ash lip ... or in 1/4" at the most. I still get beautiful secondaries each night. Looking forward to the first night I'm able to pull off a complete damper-down! Lows here have dipped only into the mid to upper 20's and we are getting a warm snap, so the great draft will have to wait!

I'm still learning ... but I am very pleased that in the first week of learning the 30 I've had two 15-hour burns with enough coals for restart and stove top temps of nearly 200. It's an unbelievable heat-thrower and my family is loving it!

I'll be doing a full-scale review on the 30 in the next week or two.

With dry wood and good draft you can shut it all the way for a couple hrs at a time.
If your wood is wet then you must have a ton of air to dry it out on the fly.

leeave96 said:
Loaded up the Englander 30-NCH last night for the overnight burn as usual. This time around, we had high winds and cool temps - apparently the draft was much stronger. I dampered down my stove after it hit 550ish degrees, continued to damper down until the damper was full closed. What I got was a mass of secondaries working at the top of the stove, red coals under the wood, no flames in between the two. Stove top maintained at 500 degrees and the stove ran this way for a couple of hours and I hit the sack. When I got up this morning, lots of coals to reload. That was the best overnight burn with the Englander yet!

Normally, I have some secondaries and flames working until charcoal stage. This time, as I described above, red coals at the bottom, secondaries at the top and much more coals to work with the next morning. It was almost like a cat stove burn with no flame between the top and bottom. One thing is for sure, if the wood ain't actively giving off flames, it lasts much longer!

Bill

You had a good coal bed and a stronger than normal draft. Under most circumstances, the stove won't burn that way for that long.

-SF

Everyones draft and set-up will vary. But sustaining just secondaries for hours is achievable. By the time my air is shut, its only out about 1/4"-1/2" from being full shut. Stove stays right around 600* (650*-700* and then settles).

I have tried the "ash lip" setting. My air is about 50% open/closed there and produces a runaway/overfire situation very fast. Again, everyones settings will vary. On a reload. I start at 50% and close from there. Takes a little longer (still gets flame build up pretty fast). But if I dont get it really hot, really quick and take my time shutting it down. I can get a very nice secondary only burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.