Englander/timber ridge 30 or JA Roby FORGERON HH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gib

hello all,

I am seeking your expert advise on which stove I should get. They’re both around $1200 cad plus tax. Does anyone have experience with these stoves. My home is an old 2 story farm house with a one story addition off the back, housing the kitchen, master bedroom and man cave. The man cave was a garage converted to living space and has no heat source. We currently run a heartwood wood stove in there and would like to upgrade.

the home is about 1600-1800 square feet, we heat with propane furnace, we use wood to supplement and would like to run the stove even at low temp to maintain room temp all the time over the winter. The home is relatively well insulated, with decent windows, and we just blew in insulation in the attics; but it has its drafts we also considered a droplet ht2000 but they retail for $1600 plus tax out here. We also count on the stove for heat during power outages, which occur multiple times over the winter.

I wasleaning towards the timber ridge 30 but the local home hardware stocks the ja roby... any help would be appreciated!

I just installed a new NC30 and I'm happy with it so far.
However, we're a month and a half from any real winter cold.
I'll report back then.

Reactions: Gib
The 30NC is time-proven. It's inexpensive but solidly built and long lasting. The Roby stove may be also, but we don't have a lot of info on it. Looking it over the Forgeron looks like a conventional design. There is one thing I don't like. The firebox floor is not flat, front to back. Instead there is a slanted ledge at front which means a 16"-18" split can not be loaded N/S without being lifted off the firebox floor.
Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 8.01.10 PM.png

Reactions: Gib and moresnow
The 30NC is time-proven. It's inexpensive but solidly built and long lasting. The Roby stove may be also, but we don't have a lot of info on it. Looking it over the Forgeron looks like a conventional design. There is one thing I don't like. The firebox floor is not flat, front to back. Instead there is a slanted ledge at front which means a 16"-18" split can not be loaded N/S without being lifted off the firebox floor.
View attachment 249449

Be green, that’s a good point, I am sceptical as I haven’t heard of the is tony stuff, I like that is a Canadian company but that only means so much... I figured the englander/timber ridge will be the better buy and it is around$50 cheaper. Like you said the 30nc is a proven solid stove, I don’t have a lot to spend and it seems like the best choice. Thanks!