Englander vs. Century Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattBOut

Nov 20, 2014
Massachusetts
I'm a Englander kind of guy "I don't own one" but I have friends that do and I swear by them. Englander also has something that few businesses in our country have which is great customer service (based by posters on this forum) Also it is a unit proudly made in the USA.

Now looking at the specs the Englander seems to maybe use heavier duty materials - weight 330lbs, the other unit is 278lbs.

The Englander looks to hold more wood has a 25" width x 20" depth fire box with a height of 22", the other unit is 20" width x 12 3/4" depth, unknown height.

The BTU range is relatively the same Englander at 60,000, the other unit at 65,000 - I don't hold the btu range really to anything because everyone burns a different wood supply, some has denser hard woods, some have lighter conifers, some burn dry wood, others swear they burn dry wood and there wood really isn't that dry >20%.

I would lean towards the Englander, but double check your fireplace dimensions, also buy some sheet metal and roxal insulation to create a block off plate after you install you liner, that way the majority of the heat the insert produces doesn't go up the chimney.

Reactions: beatlefan
So after some research, it seems they are pretty equal but the englander has a thicker top plate, firebox is slightly bigger, its heavier and made in America. So guess i will not worry about saving the 150 or so dollars and get the englander. I look forward to burning soon.

Reactions: beatlefan
Status
Not open for further replies.