Englander Wood Furnace door warped or bad latch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gforcefd

Dec 9, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I have only had my englander wood furnace a few months. I probably haven't burned more than 25 days or so with it. Tonight I had a good fire going, my flue temps constant at about 350 degrees. I started to smell that hot smell/burning off machine oil smell so I went down to check on the wood furnace. Flue temps were still around 350 (infared gun) 300 (magnetic thermometer 18 inches from furnace).

I can't really get a stove top temp reading since the wood furnace has an air jacket all around it for the blower. I do have a magnetic thermometer on the upper left corner above the glass door, it said around 300.

I just barley grazed the glass doors handle which is always in the down as far as it will go to latch, it lifted up on its own and I could see the cast iron door open slightly, maybe 1/4inch. Is this normal because the stove is not? Do you think the latch could be faulty, or maybe the door is warped? I don't believe I have had a overfire instance. I am guessing this could cause a overfire though.

Give Englander support a call in the morning. Might be a defective door.

Not an Englander but my Hearthstone Clydesdale had a warped door from the manufacturer. Shocked that it was but it was

While you are at it you may want to take a straight edge (like a metal carpenter's square) and check the stove itself (where the door "meets" it).

I noticed that if I yank my handle down with enough force the entire door moves slightly as the two hinge pins have some play. I expect this since I am only utilizing three points (the handle's latch, and the two hinge pins), not four.

But as begreen suggested, call customer service. Call earlier in the morning so your wait time isn't as long since we have this polar thing going on this week.

Thank you all for the replies. I will give them a call after I check with a straight edge. Visually it looks fine and my guess is it is on the door handle, When it is open there seems to be a good amount of play in it. Short term fix because of this nasty cold weather I was thinking of attaching a weight to the handle to make sure it stays down and shut completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.