Englanger 28-3500 cabinet air loss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronovt

Jan 8, 2015
VT
I have had this stove, bought new for about four years. I am noticing a few issues that I would like to resolve and am wondering if others have addressed the problem.
1. The front damper control looses a lot of air below the housing.
2. There is significant air loss around the cabinet seams with a fair amount of ash noticeable along the seams.

The unit is connected to my existing oil hot air ducting in a 1000 sqft house.

I'm wondering if the ash / dust is just being sucked up from the basement and blown thru the housing.
Have you folks sealed the seams of the cabinet?

Thanks
Ron

I have the same stove and don't know how to leave things alone and noticed the air leaking too. It leaks around just about everything. I used the metal back tape used for ducts on the stove. I put it around all the seams the flat part of the flue collar and around the heat output. The tape on the seams in the front where it has direct contact with the fire chamber don't stick very well due to the heat but still have cut down on the ail loss over all. I don't think any dust and ash is coming out of your stove. I think it is residual with what gets air born when you empty your ash pan. My stove sits next to the basement walk out door and I would just open the door and put the ash into the wheelbarrow and noticed the ash in the air was getting sucked back into the house. Now I step outside close the door then dump the ash. It seems to have limited the ash on the stove. Also do you have a filter for your furnace? That will help with your indoor air.

Mine blows air out of all the same spots.i bought it brand new last year and it's just the nature of the beast. I have thought about sealing it all with high temp silicone but it just hadn't bothered me enough yet. Maybe i will this summer. And i also get the dust streams on the stove where the air blows out. I have the filter box and started out using the high dollar 3m filters but apparently my basement is a dusty mess because it was clogging the filters in about 2-3 weeks time. And boy does that beast gethot when it can't move the sair it needs to around the fire box. I'm thinking I'll switch to the cheap 2 dollar filters next season and see how it does.

I just put one of these in and noticed the same things. Leaking seams to which I will be sealing as well - lost air is lost air either way you look at it. I am also adding some cement board around the steel case as mine is in an unheated garage and I dont want the heat wasted when trying to heat in the house. Also I am adding the filter box and will be piping air in from the house when heating the house with it, and a 10 foot high pipe from the garage air when heating the garage. The point is to get the blower intake air out of the fly ash that is around the floor from cleaning out the stove. A similar setup could also work for you guys too.

Reactions: Junebug90
Status
Not open for further replies.