Roadranger Posted By Roadranger, Oct 28, 2018 at 9:30 AM

1. Roadranger

Roadranger
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2016
    Loc:
    Vermont
    There's lots of threads on these, but I can't find anything to answer my question, so here it goes.

I currently have a lopi endeavor in the finished walk out basement of our home. It's about 1600 square feet of total living space between both floors. It heats ok, but due to the ceiling down stairs, it struggles to get heat up stairs. We installed ducts in two locations and one with a fan. It helps a lot. But I have been eyeing the 28-4000 furnace as a replacement. BUT, I would like to run it as a stand alone from the other furnace. I would like to simply run the duct work off the unit to two large vents in the floor up stairs and run the fan on a thermostat up stairs. But what I cannot seem to find answers to, does the unit itself put off enough radiant heat to continue to heat the down stairs as well without having a duct vent down there?

The upstairs space is not huge, and the ducts I would use are strategically placed for optimum heat movement. So plumbing it into the existing duct is a not a consideration for me. So lets avoid this topic because that is not how I want to connect this unit.

I understand this is far less than automated, that is completely fine with me. I enjoy sitting by the stove and fiddling with it. So that is not an issue to me personally. My main concern is if there's enough radiant heat coming off the unit to heat the downstairs. And if it would work well as a stand alone with no help from the main furnaces blower.

Thanks

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    You should be fine...those cheaper furnaces put off a lot of radiant heat...no insulation on the air jacket

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Roadranger

Roadranger
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2016
    Loc:
    Vermont
    That was my thought as well. But wanted a second opinion. How do you like the drolet?

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Well, that's not a simple answer. I bought it used (cracked) just to try out an EPA firebox after not being satisfied with my Yukon. At first I was really disappointed and almost took it back out...fortunately I persevered and was able to get some things straightened out, then installed a temp controller on it followed by a speed controller on the blower, the two things together transformed that machine into a nice little furnace. Never have fixed the cracks yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. FaithfulWoodsman

FaithfulWoodsman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 17, 2015
    Loc:
    Geographic Center of Ohio
    I have a somewhat similar setup as you are outlining. I have a 1500 sqft house and a 1000 sqft basement. I have the older 28-3500 connected directly to the main house trunk, not the plenum, with a damper stopping heat from back flowing into the propane furnace. Other than using the duct work, it's not connected to the thermostat or furnace in any way. The main house can be as hot as I want it and the basement stays 68-70 via ambient heat and the small amount of pressure seepage around the jacket and duct fittings I didn't tape intentionally. Your stove is more efficient, but should work much the same as brenndatomu stated. Our basement is also walkout and has several areas that let in a small cold draft. Good luck. We love our stove.