Ensuring my Enviro lasts as long as possible

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

illini81

Feeling the Heat
Apr 7, 2017
Southeastern CT
I am entering my fourth winter with my Enviro Boston 1700. It has been an awesome stove, and has needed nothing. It heats our entire 2400 sqft home until temperatures get pretty low, it gives us a beautiful flame show for hours every day, and it looks really good doing it. My understanding though is that Enviro is no longer making wood stoves.

At this point I believe my family will most likely be in our current house for 20+ years. I would like this stove to last us as long as possible - it doesn't seem like there are many large (2.5+ cuft) wood inserts out there (shoutout to begreen who pointed me in the direction of Enviro!), and the EPA changes seem to be heading in the direction of less operator control for noncats, which in my opinion results in a less usable wood stove.

It seems like it is possible to get 20ish years out of a wood stove, if it is well made and isn't overfired. However, I am sure there will be at least some parts that fail during a 20 year timespan (e.g. blower?). Are there parts I should buy now, to ensure that something doesn't fail in 10 years, and I can't replace it because I can no longer source a replacement? I don't know very much about long-term maintenance of a wood stove, so any help would be much appreciated!

I came on here looking for an answer to this exact question. I just found out it was discontinued.
I‘ve bought an extra baffle and ceramic flue gasket to keep in stock.
But, I am now wondering how long the 4 secondary air tubes life span usually is and if I should grab an extra set to have just in case. They are not cheap, that’s for sure!
Also, thinking about getting an extra fan assembly.
I’ve had this stove since 2012. It’s been running awesome all these years. Hope we never have to replace it.

The Enviro Boston is an excellent heater and a very good looking too. As long as it is maintained and not overfired, it should last decades. It's a real shame Sherwood decided to discontinue selling wood stoves.

Unlike the mild steel tubes of the past, stainless steel tubes last a long time. If the stove is not overfired they may last 20 yrs. or more. Note that each tube is different.

Reactions: Haven
I had the enviro kodiak 1700 and absolutely loved that stove.when enviro quit making woodstoves I had a conversation with the head distributor in canada.he told me enviro was the worst for supplying parts at the time,if you can score a couple extra baffles and secondary tubes do it now.i couldn't be left without getting parts as wood heat is all I have so I moved on to a osburn,just my 2cents.

IMG_0077.JPG

Last edited:
The Enviro Boston is an excellent heater and a very good looking too. As long as it is maintained and not overfired, it should last decades. It's a real shame Sherwood decided to discontinue selling wood stoves.

Unlike the mild steel tubes of the past, stainless steel tubes last a long time. If the stove is not overfired they may last 20 yrs. or more. Note that each tube is different.
Good to know these air tubes should last over 20 years…. Although, I am on year 12 with them.

Burning conditions vary so much that it's hard to predict lifespan. We're on season 15 with our PE T6 and the baffle still looks good. We've had some here with the same baffle after 25+ yrs. Others have had to replace them due to warping after 8-10 yrs. I strongly suspect the difference is in how hot the stove is run. Both Enviro and PE stoves are easy breathing. When put on a tall flue system >25', the stoves can run hot unless the draft is dampered. Unfortunately, most stove manuals do not cover this situation.

Thanks for the link. Those are much better prices than I was finding. I just placed an order for the air tubes and fan assembly.
I’d much rather have them and not end up needing them, then needing them and not being able to get them. 😁