Entrance Vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Orion 4343

May 11, 2021
Downgintown PA
Morning everyone,

I own a home built in 1985 and I am trying to heat the downstairs with a Jotul C550. The family room, and kitchen can get very warm, but I am trying to get more warm air in the dining room, where the thermostat is. I am currently running a small fan in the entrance way and it works well, but still, the entrance way is blocking the air. Last night I measured a temp of 75F above the doorway, but stepping into the dining room its 68F. I was wondering how effective installing a through vent above the entrance might be. Or am I wasting my time? I have attached two pictures, one taken looking into the family room and the other directly behind me looking towards the dining room. Thanks for any insight.
IMG_20220111_091132667.jpg
IMG_20220111_091124005.jpg

This is what I used in my home. Just had to run the power cord down alongside the doorway trim to the nearest outlet. It worked well...

619ZuEFs8eL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I've had one of these and did help to a degree, but there is a good 2 feet between where that fan would go and the ceiling. That air is trapped. I was thinking about adding a vent above the doorway, through to the other side if the room. Something like this
images.jpg