Enviro Boston 1700 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JeffersonKey

Oct 23, 2022
New Jersey
Hi everyone, I’m on my second year owning an Enviro Boston 1700 Insert here in NJ. I think it was about about 3 years old when I bought it used off Facebook market in PA for $1,000 along with 20 something feet of double wall flex liner. I had it professionally installed/ inspected along with the flex pipe. Installer also used a bay of high temp insulation to created the block off plate. Heats my 1750 square foot traditional bi-level with no issues. Just use a few ceiling fans on reverse and I turn on the furnace blower for about 45 minutes a night to get the warm air circulated into the baby’s rooms since his door stays closed. Works nicely since the air return vent is in the same room as the stove.

I’m becoming nervous I’m over firing at times which leads me here. I have an IR thermometer I use to monitor the stove top which is visible though a 2 inch gap between the stove top and outter facad. It generally reads between 400 or so when the fire is settled in and secondary burn is rolling with a hot bed of coals/ wood. When I add wood it gets to around 600 I’d say. I also bought two magnetic thermometers…I put one on the stove top pushed about 4 inches back which I can just barely read it peaking through the gap. The second one was placed centerline at the top of the door. The top one is always around 475-500 and the door one reads about 300 at best. I use the IR laser to check the rear flue collar and it’s usually around 350 but it’s a double wall flex pipe so I’m sure it’s actually higher. Burn times are usually 8-10 hours with crappy wood and 10+ with oak. I’ve been reading about an Auber flue probe but I’m hesitant to drill into my flue pipe. Additionally, won’t it have to be removed every time I sweep the chimney?? It’s not so much as I have a specific question relating to temperatures, but I’m looking to spark conversations relating to the Boston 1700 in general because there is very limited information out there besides a few forums on here.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Reactions: MrOrpheus
Sounds like it's running fine, maybe a little on the cool side. It's a beautiful and robust insert.

Reactions: JeffersonKey
Those temps don’t worry me at all either. When it’s cold out cruising at 500 to 600 is pretty normal for me (33’ chimney).

I used two Auber probes. Both are the washer style. Towards the front / middle there is a metal pice on the convective jacket that points down. I have the washer sitting on the stove top there pinned down by that metal piece and a couple of quarters to make it a tighter fit.

My other Auber controls the fan and it’s also a washer style. For this one I have it wedged between the flue collar and the liner adapter. You need to take the surround off to access it but it stays in place pretty well.

Also the one on the door you have isn’t doing much. The door does not get very hot there. I had a magnetic one before I got the Aubers and I hid it on the side behind the panels. You would have to squint between to get a look at it but it was nicely hidden. It’s too nice of a stove to ruin with a thermometer sticking out in the front imho. :)

Last unsolicited comment here…

Is the door in the pic actually closed all the way? The door closes in two stages the first is a loose fit that you can use to let more air in when starting and then a second to clamp it shut hard. If the door is adjusted too tight you might only be able to get the first latch. When fully closed the handle should point straight down. In the pic yours looks like it’s pointed out at an angle. Could be wrong but check it out. To fix it you want to loosen the nuts to let the door’s catching mechanism slide out a tiny bit the retighten it.