Enviro Boston/Kodiak questions before purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2015
Byrnes Mill
Hello everyone! I've lurked around here for a long while like I'm sure many before me. I'm looking to replace my old fireplace insert with an Enviro unit. I'm going back and forth on the Boston and Kodiak units. I do prefer the look of the Boston as well as the handle but the Boston is a bit more expensive than the Kodiak and overall function and cost are factors. My current home setup is a Tri-level (half ranch and half split level). So the layout currently is somewhat ...not open. This spring im enclosing my carport so after that the final size will be about 1700-1800 sq feet. I plan to use the stove pretty much every winter-I've been using my current one but just want an upgrade and something a little nicer- I live in the St. Louis area so the winters are usually cold at times. Not uncommon to see single digits overnights sometimes worse depending but usually teens and twenties on average. I originally was looking at the 1700 model for the boston unit but i seen that it seems like their sq foot coverage numbers have changed? It looks like that model will not heat 3000 sq feet which is way more that id ever need. So i was considering the 1200 instead. After talking with the stove shop guy over the phone he told me that if i can fit the 1700 in my firebox that i should just get the bigger stove. He also said that he has no idea why they up'd the sq feet of heating because he doesn't believe anything has changed about these stoves. Anyway my budget was about 3000 dollars for the stove itself give or take. So if the 1200 is the better model to go with i'd be able to swing the Boston but otherwise the kodiak is more desirable just because of price. I like the look of both stoves just fine, but the Boston is a little nicer looking so thats why i'd go for it if the price is right. It just seems to me like its not a good idea to get too much stove because of the way these things are supposed to be operated. I don't really want to overheat my home if i have family over or whatever. Thanks in advance guys!

Ignore the area heated, that is marketing only. Go with the 1700. You will get longer burn times which are essential for 24/7 heating.

I bought the Boston 1700 last year. I think the question of the 1700 and the 1200 is about size and performance while the Boston vs Kodiak is just about which one you like the looks of better. I've had good luck with different sized loads and adjusting the fan to control how much heat to pump out. Burning a nice little fire right now actually just to take the chill off - mix of small pine and hardwood uglies 2 hours in. 9ecaaa39ebf52355cbf7a3555dc7aaf3.jpg

I have the Kodiak 1700 insert. Thats the one you will want to heat your place. It will not cook you out unless you want it to. Your making a good choice easy to use trouble free bullet proof stove.

Awesome! I guess the 1700 it is. Now to decide on the Boston or Kodiak. My wallet says Kodiak but my eyes say Boston! Anyone got pics of theirs installed? I've seen some on here but not a bunch.

We had to put that oversized surround to cover the opening. I plan to fab one up that looks better some day. Made that hearth extension with natural stone. It also has carpet glued underneath to keep from scratching the floor.

Wow that hearth extension looks like those ones you can purchase. So you did a good job. Does anyone have a ballpark estimate of how much wood they burn with these stoves? I know that's a loaded question but realistically for a moderate winter burning quite regularly? Are we talking 3-4 chords? More? I know my dad with his freestanding stove had had winters that he's burned about 4 chords give or take but that's quite a bit of wood to me personally. Just based on what I can harvest on my own and from friends.

Are we talking 3-4 chords?

As an estimate for pretty much 24/7 burning that sounds about right. I would definitively shoot for having 4 to 5 cords at hand to be safe. What you don't burn this winter will still be there the next. How long ago has the wood been split and then stacked in a sunny and windy location?

As for your choice: How much is it worth to you to look at the Boston and not the Kodiak for the next several years? A few hundred may pale in comparison.

Don't forget an insulated liner and a block-off plate: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/

What I have now has been cut and split since last season. Some before that. Although currently I probably only have maybe 1-2 chords. I am going to cut and split some here in a week or so but that stuff won't be ready til next year in all reality. So I'll either have to purchase some or just burn less wood.

I would say 3 1/2 to 4 cord year to year. But plan on burning upward of an extra cord the first season playing with and getting used to the stove.

The coldest I have ever been in my life was one night in St. Louis. And don't ask about getting lost at one in the morning and ending up in East St. Louis. !!! And lived.

Edit to add. Kodiak and Boston both great inserts but remember, you are going to be looking at it for a long time.

I'd go for the Boston if that is the look you like. The mass of the cast iron jacket will help even out temperature swings. Over the 20-30yr life of the stove the additional cost is trivial.

Only problem I have with the Boston is that I wish that they would put an ash lip on that gorgeous puppy.

I agree! That was one thing I liked better about the Kodiak. I could always fab up a tray to slide up to the door for the Boston should I go that route but there's no way it would look as good.

Here's some pics of my Boston. Everyone always takes pictures straight on, so here's a side look. 78d8a63b351f146593cd61e55b1b50ff.jpg

And a slow mo video of this mornings fire. Another small one a few minutes after starting up from cold.

Last year I burned a little more than 2 cords with cold starts on weekdays after work and heavier use during the day on the weekends. I think if you wanted to discreetly burn down a forest you could do it with the 1700 without over firing. I ran mine last year with the air pretty open most of the time. I had a great draft with a long but uninsulated liner. I would wait until the fan came on before closing the air, and that can take a long time from a cold start even with a raging fire. I didn't engage the secondaries like I should have - still learning. I expect to use less wood this year by being more efficient.

One thing about Enviro generally is that they don't seem to have any direct customer support - they rely on their local dealers for any questions. Not bad if you like your dealer. If not then there's hearth.com.

Those pics were helpful. Especially seeing how far it sticks out for reference. Also good to know about wood consumption. I'm sure I'll be in learning mode for the first season or so as well. I've burned wood before in my current stove and my dad's freestanding catalytic stove but no experience with these types. It's all pretty exciting to me.

There's a learning curve with most any new stove, even for veteran burners. They all have their personalities. With the help of the good folks here you should be falling into the groove before Christmas.

I wish folks would quit posting pics of that stove. I don't need to be spending that kinda money. :confused:

Just in case you didn't see the Venice... Here's my 1200 I'm a newbie as well learning as we speak!

Attachments

• IMG_4564.JPG
    IMG_4564.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_4521.JPG
    IMG_4521.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 413
Here's some pics of my Boston. Everyone always takes pictures straight on, so here's a side look. View attachment 165053

And a slow mo video of this mornings fire. Another small one a few minutes after starting up from cold.

Last year I burned a little more than 2 cords with cold starts on weekdays after work and heavier use during the day on the weekends. I think if you wanted to discreetly burn down a forest you could do it with the 1700 without over firing. I ran mine last year with the air pretty open most of the time. I had a great draft with a long but uninsulated liner. I would wait until the fan came on before closing the air, and that can take a long time from a cold start even with a raging fire. I didn't engage the secondaries like I should have - still learning. I expect to use less wood this year by being more efficient.

One thing about Enviro generally is that they don't seem to have any direct customer support - they rely on their local dealers for any questions. Not bad if you like your dealer. If not then there's hearth.com.

Wow nice setup the clearances allowed the mantel to stay?? Looks like it belongs there.

Wow nice setup the clearances allowed the mantel to stay?? Looks like it belongs there.
Good eye! I'm off on the fascia board clearances. During my week off for thanksgiving it will be meet clearance standards.

I would go with the Boston. But, I'm a bit biased. I burn 24/7 and use a little over 3 cords. (A bit more last year for that never ending winter) We had to recess ours in the opening to make the front clearance and add a top piece to close in the large opening. ( The lighting in this picture makes the insert look more gray than the black that it really is)
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.