Enviro digital contol panel over compensation for short cycling in Auto-On/Off Mode?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
Testing out the Meridian with the Lux TX1500U T-Stat with swing set to 8 in Auto-On/Off mode
Wow, I thought the stove would never shut down! So RTFM and found the board goes to Lo heat level for 30 min before shutting down to prevent short cycling! LOL!

So I changed the swing to 1 and set T-Stat for 75. Well the room and the T-Stat went to 86 Deg F before finally shutting down!

Is there anyway to eliminate the 30 min run on Lo without changing the micro code and burning a new chip or using a different manufacturers control panel?

I would rather just use the swing setting in the T-Stat instead.

From the Enviro Manual
OPERATION:
When the thermostat contacts close, the unit will light automatically. Once up to temperature, the stove operates the same as in MANUAL. When the thermostat contacts open, the stove’s HEAT LEVEL and Fans will drop down to the LOW setting for 30 minutes. If the thermostat contacts close within the 30 min, the HEAT LEVEL will return to the previous MANUAL setting. If the thermostat contacts remain open the stove automatically begins its shutdown routine. The stove will re-light when the thermostat contacts close again.

Attachments

• TX1500Upanel.jpg
    TX1500Upanel.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 179
Its best the way its designed. If its gonna start up within 30 minutes, then I wouldnt want it to shut down.

Its better on the stove to not cycle so much. Its not a flaw in my eyes... Its a plus. So you get the best of both worlds. Its an Auto On/Off function, but it acts as High/Low if the need for heat is there. Thats a Great Feature.

My Fahrenheit is set for 30 (might be 45 min) minutes when in Fuel Mizer mode (On/Off). T-stat mode is High/Low. Love it..

For a small space, such as your shed. It may not be that nice. !! But its designed to heat a much larger area than your shed also ;) wanna trade? ;) !!

Also see what other compensation is in that stat you are using, some of them have settings that compensate for things like steam boiler overshoot which will turn off the call for heat prior to temp setting plus swing.

Its best the way its designed. If its gonna start up within 30 minutes, then I wouldnt want it to shut down.

Its better on the stove to not cycle so much. Its not a flaw in my eyes... Its a plus. So you get the best of both worlds. Its an Auto On/Off function, but it acts as High/Low if the need for heat is there. Thats a Great Feature.

My Fahrenheit is set for 30 (might be 45 min) minutes when in Fuel Mizer mode (On/Off). T-stat mode is High/Low. Love it..

For a small space, such as your shed. It may not be that nice. !! But its designed to heat a much larger area than your shed also ;) wanna trade? ;) !!

Yes, Dexter I agree.

The advantage with the Enviro is that it WILL work on a Manual T-stat and in a Large room it would save on the igniter wear and tear and really not be quite so noticable when it runs 30 more mins on the lowest heat setting.

However the Pelpro and the Quadrafire classic bay even though they put out alot of heat too, but would not get the room that hot on the T-Stat!

So having the Enviro in a small room still can be made better by making the set point lower like 65 or 68. I will try that next. Also I am testing in the late spring with very moderate outside temps. In the cold winter the room may not get as hot!

Also see what other compensation is in that stat you are using, some of them have settings that compensate for things like steam boiler overshoot which will turn off the call for heat prior to temp setting plus swing.

Checking for other compensation is a good idea. Like this delay switch, probably for a steam boiler.

SWITCH #6 (DELAY): [OFF/DOWN = 5 MIN, default] This sets the minimum
length of time that Heat or Cool must remain either On or Off, before it will
automatically switch to the alternate On or Off state. This internal delay
prevents rapid cycling of your system and provides equipment protection
particularly for cooling units. The 5-minute setting is fine for most
applications. [ON/UP = 2 MIN] If you feel that your system may need to
cycle more frequently than the thermostat is allowing, then you may use the
2-minute setting.

However because the Enviro Control Panel is overriding this thermostat by keeping the stove on longer at the Lo heat setting then this other compensation is useless in this case.

The T-Stat cannot tell the stove what to do!
I guess this is why Quadrafire's Mt Vernon AE have their own T-Stat so there is full 2 way interaction programmed by the same company!

So if it is cool in the morning I will try the lower set point and see how it runs.

I am not disappointed at all here, Enviro is still ahead of the pack with features and to find an older stove that is made so rugged like this Meridian was alot of fun!

The only other difference in this older machine, is the blowers do not have sealed bearings and make a high pitched wine that really does not bother me. I know some people cannot stand it. The advantage though if you oil the motors on a regular basis and keep them clean they can last for an extremely long time. I cleaned mine here and oiled them and they are running like brand new! They are very good rugged motors!

From the description you just gave your t-stat doesn't have the compensation I was talking about.

From the description you just gave your t-stat doesn't have the compensation I was talking about.

Ok

But that 30 mins on Low Flame before shutdown will interfere with any T-Stat trying to keep the set point!

Today I am doing temp testing. Wish we had some cold winter days!

I set the T-Stat for 68 this morning and after the 30 min shutdown on Lo the room was 77 Deg F!

Just took a reading when the stove throttled back to Low for the 30 min period before shutdown!

See pic below

Wow 206 Deg F on Low ! ! !

Attachments

• 206onLoDuring30MinShutdown.jpg
    206onLoDuring30MinShutdown.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 166
Hello

Well this morning I did the T-Stat set temperature cycle test for Auto-On/Off in the 10' x10' room.
I agree it is a small area to heat for this 45k BTU Enviro Meridian stove but still having control over the heat is an important feature!

The stove was set to go on at 68 Deg F and it was 37 Deg F outside this AM at 5:00 AM. The forecast is 80 Deg F by 6:00 PM ! ! That is a 43 Deg F rise today! that does not happen too often in New England!

Anyways, it was 60 Deg F in the shed at 5:00 AM because I had the T-Stat switched to off with the toggle switch inside the house. The reason it was 60 Deg F in the shed was due to the Hi Temp testing last night at 10:00 PM when I raised the temp in the shed to 105.0 Deg F to measure the Hi Heat Level 5 on the stove which was 389 Deg F! So switching the T-Stat on brought the shed up to 68 on Heat Level 2 with default swing of 1 which is 0.25 Deg F on the Lux TX1500U Thermostat. Then during the 30 min shutdown on Lo fire the room rose to 79 Deg F.

So in this case the Enviro Control Board caused a Swing of 68 to 79 Deg F which I feel is too much!

If the 30 Min Shutdown on Lo Fire can be removed and the T-Stat can be set for 2 Deg F swing that would be much better. I have to contact Enviro about this!

Attachments

• Hi387DegAfter40Min.jpg
    Hi387DegAfter40Min.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 1035inShed.jpg
    1035inShed.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 168
Well, under code, you should use an outside air kit for any installation in an enclosed room less than 500 square feet. That would include your shed. Perhaps the cooler air from outside would trigger the proof of fire to open sooner.

You are right, I will be getting an outside air kit. For now I crack the window.

The room blower comes on when the stove gets warm as it should.

I do not understand how the cooler air would effect the proof of fire? Can you explain?

You are right, I will be getting an outside air kit. For now I crack the window.

The room blower comes on when the stove gets warm as it should.

I do not understand how the cooler air would effect the proof of fire? Can you explain?

Don.... Thats way to small of an area. You can call Enviro and ask them about it. But I'm pretty sure there gonna tell you that 100 sq ft is way to small of an area. If you had that in your basement, it would never do that. It would have a MUCH Larger area to heat. The swing would prob be 2° or less........ just sayin

Don.... Thats way to small of an area. You can call Enviro and ask them about it. But I'm pretty sure there gonna tell you that 100 sq ft is way to small of an area. If you had that in your basement, it would never do that. It would have a MUCH Larger area to heat. The swing would prob be 2° or less........ just sayin

That may be so and the small shed is a tougher test for these stoves, but the Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 and the Pelpro worked flawless with the TX1500U T-Stat so I am disappointed with the way the Enviro works. I am trying to contact Enviro about this to see what they have to say.

Hello

Well I finally talked to a very knowledgeable Enviro Dealer Technichian.

He said the older control panel has the horizontal slide switch for mode selection. The newer control panel has the vertical slide switch for mode selection and some additional trim pot auger feed capabilities but still has the same 30 min on Lo fire before shut down.

He said that I can select the lower feed rate of 2 seconds when 1 and 4 lights show, so on Low heat during that 30 min Lo fire before shut down there would not be as much heat output.

Enviro manual page 7
AUGER TRIM: Used to change feed rates on LOW ONLY for poorer quality fuels. Push the Auger Trim
button until the number 1 and 5 lights appear on the Heat Level Indicator. This will increase the feed
rate to four (4) seconds ON time Auger pulse. This is done only on LOW to allow the burning of poor
quality fuels. Push the button until the number 1 and 4 lights appear, this will reduce the Auger On
time to two (2) second. This setting is for high-grade fuel only. Push the button until just the number
1 light is on, this is for a three (3) second on time (standard setting).

Attachments

• EnviroFeedTrim.jpg
    EnviroFeedTrim.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 154
Status
Not open for further replies.