enviro ef2 blower motor problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, one of the clips broke. How big of a deal is that....
Anyway here is the inside.....nothing appears to be broke. Although I don't know what a new one looks like so I am not sure what I am looking for. Like I said, the shaft pushes back and forth a little. I could hear the noise when I spun it while it is pushed inward. I am wondering if there should be another washer at the back end of it.

GEDC0033.jpg

GEDC0034.jpg

GEDC0035.jpg

***disclaimer....sorry guys I am very stupid when it comes to this stuff. ****

Chris your doing fine! No worse than my first time a couple a hundred years ago. I'm impressed you got it with my feeble attempt of an explanation tear down.

3 clips will do, But 4 is better. I have some, But You'll need to get me a length measurement(there is a couple of different sizes) and send me a PM(with address). I'll send you a couple of spares.

First things first. Pull the other end plate of the arm and get to cleaning things. Again careful with the shims and their proper order! Blast all those fuzzballs off with air and do what restore 49 said to do with the shafts and bushings. Once clean and tidy, Reverse the order and put it back together again. I would test it before you put it back into the stove with a lamp cord. Careful with the power-no zaps on my watch!

Let us know how it goes.

What chemical should I clean it with? What parts do I lube when it is time? Just the shaft or more? And what kind of lube do I use.

Chris:
Carburetor cleaner - Brake clean - Alchohol , with a Qtip. Synthetic oil or high temp oil. There should be felt around the bushings that will hold the oil in a resevore. Be a little carefull high pressur air can rattle the fine field winding coils. The bearing surfaces will somtimes have a varnish like buildup that needs to be completely removed.

Well there is felt or cotton material in 2 spots. It looks all flattened and deteriorated. Is this a problem?

Not ideal but should still work - bearing (sintered bronze) is held in place with a circular spring clip that also captures felt on the outboard side. Unless all the felt is gone will still hold oil in reserve. Clean those fins very thoughly. Do you have a photo of the cleaned motor housing?.

http://www.lm-tarbell.com/machining_sintered_bronze.htm
Synthetic lubricants, such as RP are the best choice for fans or other fine machinery. Synthetics are artificially constructed so they do not oxidize readily. The molecular structure resembles small spheres and are designed not to tangle. Less heat is generated resulting in slower oxidation and breakdown. High grade 100 % synthetic lubricants like Royal Purple operate well in continuous high heat situations and have a greater shear strength. Synthetic lubricants have properties that are designed to transfer heat faster and enhance molecular bonding to the surfaces of parts and thus lessen initial start up wear. Start up is when most wear occurs between moving parts

Status
Not open for further replies.