Enviro Empress convection blower seems low?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet-King

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2008
Northern Ct
Just picked it up toady, gave it a good cleaning, fired it up in the garage and when the convection/room blower turned on finally it does not blow out alot of air, just a slight breeze, is that normal?, i took the side panel off and noticed the blower spinning, it is a long blower kinda like what BMW uses, is it right to have the squirrel cage wide open?, is there some kind of cover missing?, it does not blow out the heat like my Whitfield!

Here's a pic with it blowing, also I tested the voltage to blower and it's 113v ac 1229121425-01.jpg

There is a delay until the stove is fully up to temp. The fan won't run for the first say 10 mins, then it will be on low until the stove gets warmer then it will ramp up to whatever setting the heat is set at. Also the fan speed is tied to the heat level so unless the stove is on high the fan will not push out a ton of air. On my empress it pumps out a lot of hot air on high but could be slightly more powerful.

Edit no cover missing thats just how mine looks.

Thanks for the reply, i had it running on high and it just seems not much heat blow's out, nothing like my Whitfield which blows a good wind, this just a slight breeze, feel it on your face, the insert uses the enclosed fan like my whit.
I cant see it heating up a room with that slow of air blowing out, hell a hair dryer blow's more

I have an Empress, that's it in my avatar...

This stove is on its fourth convection blower motor. They have all had the same thing go wrong - a bad winding and failed to spin up to full speed unless the stove was set to HIGH. Then as more windings give out in the blower, the blower will not start at all unless the stove is set all the way to HIGH.

If you set the stove all the way to HIGH and the blower spins up, then blows better at the low setting, it's the motor.

That red "plug" on the end of the motor....is that removable? Can it be given a few drops of oil there? On the motor end?

Usually when a motor runs better at low speed AFTER starting it on high, means the bearings are somewhat dry.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.