Enviro Kodiak 1700 Insert Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mschuenke

Dec 10, 2009
Biddeford, Maine
I just had an Enviro Kodiak 1700 insert installed yesterday. I'm wondering if it was installed properly (the service from the store has been HORRIBLE). However, before throwing the installer under the bus, I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly. On the stove's maiden voyage I had two problems:

1) If I closed the door, the fire went out. I was using dry, seasoned hardwood, and the air control (damper) was open all the way. I'm new at this, but it seems that the insert isn't getting enough oxygen.

2) The fan doesn't seem to work. I turned the fan to manual (override) and opened the rheostat all the way. It sounds like the fan is turning, but I can't feel air coming out.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE -

The fan problem ended up being from a metal plate that had been fastened over the fan outflow. Once I removed that plate, the fan seems to be working fine. My new question is this - why was there a plate over the fan outflow? Does is come from the factory that way (perhaps to protect the fan from damage)? Is it supposed to block cold drafts when the insert isn't in use (unlikely, since I don't feel a draft)? Is this an installer error? I just can't comprehend why someone would put the plate there.

Thanks

#1 problem sounds like wet wood if this new installation was done properly.

#2 problem, not sure. It sounds odd. Did you ask the dealer about this? I'm wondering if the dealer assembled the unit and forgot to remove the knockout? But that's just a guess.

I have the same exact insert installed in 2008; second season. This insert burns hard and soft woods and has a decent size firebox.

If you start this insert cold and immediately close the door the fire will go out, even with the air lever maxed.

What I do is put 2 med splits on the bottom, alot of kindling pieces on top, and newspaper twisted on top, air maxed open [lever right] and keep that door cracked about one inch. Then I continue to add newspaper until the splits and kindling blaze, THEN and only THEN do I close the door, air still maxed. Takes about 5 minutes total to get this started; 10 minutes if there is moisture in the wood. After that, smooth sailing.

However, if the wood is very wet, you will have issues no matter what. Wet wood should smoke and you will hear a loud hissing like steam. The only thing you can do is keep feeding the paper until the excess moisture burns off.

I noticed that this insert makes a whistling sound at first when the box is cold and the air is maxed while the fire is building; what you should see is the fire catching and your temp guage rising while this is happening. That is a good sign.

Also, I use the rheostat setting only after it hits 400 on the stove top, to get max heat out of the thing for the first hour or so.

Good luck

Sometimes it helps to leave the door cracked open for awhile to boost the air and create a good draft. Once everything catches good close the door and continue burning with full air for another 15 minutes or so then slowly turn down the air til the flames become slow and lazy looking, the secondary flames should also start to kick in. It will take some time and trial and error figuring out your new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.