Enviro M55 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Highwood 430

Feb 16, 2018
Southold 430
Just had an enviro m55 installed was working fine on 3 setting good flame after a few hours flame went down and I put it up to 4 and 5 can’t seem to get flame back I am using green team pellets from Lowe’s

Yes they installed a liner through The Chimmeny approximately 12 feet if that. Insert was working fine first 3 hours now loses flame and then shuts it self down very frustrating

Are you running stove on a T-Stat or manually ?

Good question!! Check which mode you are running in. There are three options.

What you described is a typical heat call satisfied drop to maintenance burn
no heat call after prescribed time shut down

Did you install the stove or was it the dealer ?
Read the install manual on how to run the stove
and make changes in output , shut down .
If it was dealer installed call him to come
and check it . With out being there I am at a
loss to what to tell you only because
I am not sure witch board is in your stove .
What you have described is a no heat call shut down

Did you install the stove or was it the dealer ?
Read the install manual on how to run the stove
and make changes in output , shut down .
If it was dealer installed call him to come
and check it . With out being there I am at a
loss to what to tell you only because
I am not sure witch board is in your stove .
What you have described is a no heat call shut down
Dealer installed even tried high end pellets tonight nothing has changed just seems like pellets are dropping enough just confused because worked for 3 hours perfectly

That stove will burn just about anything nut shells, grain ,corn ,high and low end pellets
even bedding pellets (not recommended ) Brand new stove call your dealer it
could be a control board problem and under warranty

That stove will burn just about anything nut shells, grain ,corn ,high and low end pellets
even bedding pellets (not recommended ) Brand new stove call your dealer it
could be a control board problem and under warranty
Ok seems the problem was the thermostat even though I have it in manual mode I picked up the thermostat I just had it next to my mantle. The stove automatically went on. So I just put the temp way up on the thermostat stove working fine. Just wondering why thermostat is working in manual mode.

The thermostat may not be reading temps accurately - calibration off. I have a cheap mechanical one like that which used to come w/ the M55. When the thermostat is set at 80, the actual temp when it turns off is 74 at the thermostat. Thus check your calibration.

Reactions: uncndl1
The thermostat may not be reading temps accurately - calibration off. I have a cheap mechanical one like that which used to come w/ the M55. When the thermostat is set at 80, the actual temp when it turns off is 74 at the thermostat. Thus check your calibration.
Figured much of the problem out what I am trying to get an answer to is when I am in manual mode does that eliminate my thermostat completely because in my case is does not
The stove was shutting down and then I realized the thermostat was only on 70 once I raised it the stove was no longer doing that. Basically it was working with the thermostat even though I had it in manual mode. I thought once I was in manual the thermostat was bypassed

My understanding is that in manual mode you either have to have the jumper in position on the board (how mine was - 2010 model) or in the newer stoves w/ thermostat wires already connected one has to jumper the thermostat wires if a thermostat isn't connected. When I run mine in manual, I make sure the thermostat is turned up high. In hi/low I set the thermostat at the desired temperature.

Yes the insert came with the theywires just hanging on the unit. So if I don’t use a thermostat your saying I have to jump those wires or just leave them hanging on the unit. No where in the manual does it say that

The thermostat connection on the board has to be closed in order to run the stove. The older models had a jumper wire on the board, which enabled the stove to run in manual. To use a thermostat, the jumper is removed and replaced w/ the thermostat wires. The newer stoves have these wires already connected. The free ends need to be connected to each other in order to complete the circuit. You can either connect a thermostat and turn it to a high setting to run in manual, or you can make a jumper wire to plug into the ends.

Thank you that is what I think but the tech people at enviro don’t seem to know that. I just want to sure the insert is brand new and I really don’t wAnt unnesasary work done on the stove. All this makes sense to me but not the tech people

That's news to me too- doesn't seem to be logical either. In man mode, that should bypass tstat circuitry on motherboard, I thought..... If it works that way tho, I'd say ok and keep going I guess.

I had a very similar problem, and the issue was the hopper switch magnet glued to the bottom of the lid was dragging on the mode switch when I closed the lid. I would close it, and the magnet would push the switch to hi:lo or on/off. I would open the lid, and it would drag it back. You can check this by closing the lid, lifting it a little while opening, and check position of switch. Solution was to install washers on the screws holding the lid to increase clearance

Per m55 tech manual under troubleshooting: control settings (heat level) have no effect on the fire. "if there is no control of the heat level button, make sure the thermostat is calling for heat". When I was researching the M55 on several forums, I came across the info that the newer models came w/ thermostat wires connected to the board and outside the stove; and that they had to be connected together if one didn't use a thermostat. My Bixby is exactly the same; needs jumper on the board if not connected to a thermostat. Just crank up the thermostat to run in manual and play around w/ various heat settings. I wouldn't change out the board as it seems to be running as it should and the board should be under warranty for at least a year.