Enviro M55 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Older M55's did not work that way. The inserts had the two red wires connected to the Motherboard and were just hanging while the FS's had a push on connector built in on the back. I know a lot of other stoves that did have a jumper connected and even older Enviros always had the little "u" jumper on the MB. Maybe they made a change, nice that someone found it and put it out here to us for our own info...

If you put the wires together how would you shut the stove down?
However the reply about the switch sliding does make a lot of sense will check that next I won’t be there until Wednesday if that’s not it tech says it’s the mother board he says shouldn’t have to run it in manual with thermostat

Just push the off button on the stove to turn it off w/ thermostat attached and running in manual. I've attached a picture of the board w/ the jumper wire; this is removed and replaced by thermostat wires. fyi my stove is one of the early M55 FS steel stoves. Next cleaning I'll run it in manual and confirm or not what I've posted earlier.

m55 board mark.jpg

Ok so I took Bobs advice. I lifted the cover as I brought it back and noticed it was in auto off which requires a thermostat. What was happening was every time I closed it even though I had it in manual the magnetic hopper switch would hit the switch and make it go to auto I put 2 washers under the bracket screws and it lifts it just enough to clear the switch. It’s amazing not one tech from enviro did not know about this flaw. I’m sure it’s happening to other enviro M55 insert owners I uploaded a picture you can even se a black mark from the friction of the switch.

Attachments

• 3733675A-8579-4738-A9F6-EE5E2C0EC193.jpeg
    3733675A-8579-4738-A9F6-EE5E2C0EC193.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 88
Ok so I took Bobs advice. I lifted the cover as I brought it back and noticed it was in auto off which requires a thermostat. What was happening was every time I closed it even though I had it in manual the magnetic hopper switch would hit the switch and make it go to auto I put 2 washers under the bracket screws and it lifts it just enough to clear the switch. It’s amazing not one tech from enviro did not know about this flaw. I’m sure it’s happening to other enviro M55 insert owners. Manual should always override thermostat. If you have no thermostat you should not need jumpers in the newer inserts. Just a little scary that no one at enviro knows about this problem.

Attachments

• AE73694E-A80D-4FA6-A572-F681C2042781.jpeg
    AE73694E-A80D-4FA6-A572-F681C2042781.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Actually, that problem has been occurring since those units first came out. If an Enviro person told you that, they weren't being fully truthful. It is such an incident that the store I worked at reported it long ago, the top sliders have been reworked one time, the slides themselves just aren't robust enough of a design. Unfortunately, people sometimes use the top to help get up from in front of the stove, and sometimes just the wear of use makes this problem pop up. I even asked for a redesign of the magnet itself, it doesn't have to be that close to work. They did recess it into the casting, but its still an issue I guess. There was another initial design issue that i think did get fixed, haven't heard of the ribbon cable from the daughter board going to the motherboard loosening and making the daughter board input not happen at the MB end. These units aren't perfect, that's why this place exists, get the nuances of each stove out there. Glad you found the issue, I know its very frustrating. Don't know why the Mfr can't have just put washers under the top plate arms attaching hardware, but mfrs only think about the cost per unit sometimes....

Reactions: Ssyko
I finally spoke to the Tech in Canada. He knew of the issue. I told him not one tech in there distribution office knew about this. He gave me the exact solution that I did. Just add washers to the brackets. He said the tech people are suppose to call him about issues. I still think they should havevan add on to the instructions in case this issue occurs. They actually sent my installer a mother board to change but I fixed the problem before they were going to change it. I really didn’t want work done that wasn’t necessary thanks to this site I got to the bottom of it

Reactions: stovelark