Enviro Maxx and Maxx-M Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayman81

Dec 20, 2013
Canada
Hi Folks,

I'm looking into the option of a basement pellet stove and looking into the Enviro Maxx or Maxx-M model. I've been combing through the user manual and noticed the operational modes, manual, hi/low, and auto/off modes. I'm a bit confused on the last two modes especially with the use of a thermostat.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the thermostat in hi/low mode basically sets the blower speed but does it also change the pellet feed rate? So if I have the feed rate at 4 and the blower combustion trim rate at 4 for example, when there is a call for heat does it run at those levels? If there is no call for heat, it lowers the fan speed to minimum but does it adjust the feed rate? I guess I'm trying to understand the purpose of the thermostat and what it automatically adjusts on the stove. Based on what I've read, it simply controls the blower and any temperature adjustments to the heat output are done on the control board?

If I do move forward with this unit, I'll essentially be running non stop (except when it comes to cleaning) so I'm trying to get an idea in my head the optimal settings and positioning of the thermostat etc.

My other question relates to the Maxx and Maxx-M products and the differences. I won't be doing anything other than wood pellets, so the multi fuel is not a requirement - is there any other feature other than the self cleaning burn pot that makes this unit the one to purchase over the regular Maxx model?

Thanks!

Hi Jayman, looks like I'm about 1/2 mile ahead of you on the same path. I did go with the Maxx-M now living in a finished basement room. My plan is to use the available duct kit to move the heat upstairs, where I need it. At my present state of half-done installation, I can make it 110degF in that room and not really know it's on upstairs. By putting a fan on low or medium pushing cold air downstairs it does help circulate but in my floor plan I need the duct work.

I went with the M version for the pot stirrer. I have not yet tried to run it without that installed but intend to at some point. I will say the stirrer motor on my stove is noisy. One other difference with the Multifuel stoves is you need a more corrosion resistant exhaust vent, which is more expensive.

As to operation, and I'm still a few steps away from a thermostat, you set the heat level on the stove which sets the speed for feed and blowers, with whatever trim you've adjusted. In manual mode that's it - it runs where you set it. In auto and Hi-Lo when the thermostat calls for heat it runs at the heat level you've set, just like manual, until the demand for heat is satisfied. In auto, when the thermostat is satisfied, the stove shuts off and will re-light when the next call for heat comes up. In Hi-Lo, it will revert to heat level 1 and stay running, "at the ready". At least that's the theory, I haven't confirmed it yet!

HTH,
- Jeff

Reactions: jayman81
Hi Jeff,

I'm trying to use this stove to supplement my propane usage so I'm hoping that I can bring heat upstairs from my basement. If I can't, well that's why I want to go with a duct kit. My house is a raised ranch with an open basement going upstairs. My ceiling isn't finished so I'm hoping the heat can get up in the floor joists and heat the floor. I'll run the cold air return fan on my LP furnance and I have a ceiling fan above my stair case on the basement to drawn in the cool air into the basement. So I'm hoping that I can make this work. If not, I'll attach the duct kit to bring up the air upstairs. Do you know if there is a maximum length on the duct kit from the stove to the floor vent?

With regards to the operations, the values you set on the control board (when using a thermostat) if I hear you correctly are the maximum values when there is a call for heat. When the heat demand has been satisfied, it runs at the lowest settings? So it lowers the blower, the heat output, and I'm assuming the feed rate trim?

Thanks! and let me know when you've tested it out.

Jayman, I think the manual with the duct kit suggest a max of 10' but it is not clear what that means. My use will "Y" the two 4" pipes into one 6" pipe then go about 12 feet or so. I'm a few steps away from that yet!

Cheers,
- Jeff

So I spoke to a dealer and the Maxx-M is $800 more than the Maxx unit. I won't be doing multi-fuel but the self cleaning burn pot has me interested. Is the difference worth it? Also sacrificing 10k BTU as well.

the agitator in the M is a nice feature. even if you're not going true "multi-fuel" it gives the unit a higher tolerance for poor pellets. the Hi /low mode will majke the unit change from the default (whatever setting you have on the control board) to 1 when the temp you've set on the themostat is acheived...these settings control both the fire and the blower fan. Auto mode will tell the unit to idle for a bit and then shut down when the temp is acheived. The trim settings aplly across the board. don't expect great results from the heat "pushing through the floors" the stove doesn't really radiate, so the trick is just in movig the heated air upstairs. If your basement is insulated, this might work out just fine, if uninsulated you will be losing a lot of energy to the earth. the duct kit will help bunches if this is the case.

Hi Delta,

Yes... the basement is insulated, good air flow on the return from upstairs so I'm hoping I get good results. My fall back is the duct kit if the results are not desirable.

Thanks for the feed back.

Also sacrificing 10k BTU as well.

This part was news to me as I was expecting to be able to jumper the -M to 70k but this years' board doesn't appear to allow that or at least it's not matching the documentation I was working from. That said, burning softwood pellets on "heat range 5" this thing is a blast furnace.

Moving the heat from my finished basement room does not really work well in my house. I'm looking forward to ducting one of these days. Still have to finish the working bits of my install first.

Cheers,
- Jeff

Hi Folks,

I'm looking into the option of a basement pellet stove and looking into the Enviro Maxx or Maxx-M model. I've been combing through the user manual and noticed the operational modes, manual, hi/low, and auto/off modes. I'm a bit confused on the last two modes especially with the use of a thermostat.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the thermostat in hi/low mode basically sets the blower speed but does it also change the pellet feed rate? So if I have the feed rate at 4 and the blower combustion trim rate at 4 for example, when there is a call for heat does it run at those levels? If there is no call for heat, it lowers the fan speed to minimum but does it adjust the feed rate? I guess I'm trying to understand the purpose of the thermostat and what it automatically adjusts on the stove. Based on what I've read, it simply controls the blower and any temperature adjustments to the heat output are done on the control board?

If I do move forward with this unit, I'll essentially be running non stop (except when it comes to cleaning) so I'm trying to get an idea in my head the optimal settings and positioning of the thermostat etc.

My other question relates to the Maxx and Maxx-M products and the differences. I won't be doing anything other than wood pellets, so the multi fuel is not a requirement - is there any other feature other than the self cleaning burn pot that makes this unit the one to purchase over the regular Maxx model?

Thanks!
The Hi/Lo setting only changes the heat settings. For example my Enviro M55 FS has the feed rate and air combustion settings and the overall heat setting (1-5).

I set my pellet feed rate (trim) at 2 and my air combustion (trim) at 3. If I choose heat output setting 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 the feed rate and air combustion are maintained at that proportion. The heat ouput simply increases or decreases all of that proportionately. Each increase in heat output will increase the frequency of the pellet feed AND the amount of O2 in the air combustion trim- your blower motor will also increase in CFM to push that hot air out.

I use the Hi/Lo setting with a remote thermostat. I have my Hi setting at heat ouput 3. (pellet feed trim at 2 and air combustion at 3). If my thermostat calls for heat the stove will automatically go right to heat output 3 and stay there until the desired temperature is reached. Once reached, the stove drops back to heat output level 1. Every other setting remains in proportion- only the heat output has changed.

In my opinion the Hi/Lo setting works great. Using the auto/off mode will cold start your unit until temps are reached, then shut down until it calls for heat again. I think that's a lot of work on the ignitor, personally.

It is hard on the ignitor, but if your t stat has a.5 degree swing it will remain on without shutting down between cycles, so it should stay on with re-lighting.

Hi Jeff,

How is the noise on the Maxx-M? If I get one, it will be in my finished basement - I'll have a tv down there if I can take the heat ;-). The fan I can probably get used to but the agitator in the burn pot... does it make much noise when it's scraping?

Thanks.

Hi Jeff,

How is the noise on the Maxx-M? If I get one, it will be in my finished basement - I'll have a tv down there if I can take the heat ;-). The fan I can probably get used to but the agitator in the burn pot... does it make much noise when it's scraping?

Wow I missed this question, and it's a month later!

I was very worried about the noise with such a big stove. In fact when I was looking at them, I tried to get my local dealer to run their floor model even without fuel so I could get a read on the noise. I eventually figured out this was the only stove that hit most of my key points so I gulped and signed.

It is much quieter than I feared. As to the stirrer, it was quiet too but has developed a buzzing sound from the motor. This started quiet, then buzzed once in a while, then buzzed more often than not, and now buzzes all the time. It's not really loud, and I still have the sides off the thing (still fussing my install), but I think I'm going to see if my dealer can warranty me a new motor.

Anyway to summarize, I was very worried about a freight train in the basement but it's really pretty civilized for what it does. I reserve the right to change my opinion when I get the ducting in place, as that will be a big pipe to move noise from the basement to the kitchen. At the moment the biggest noise is the box fan I have blowing down the basement stairs. Down in the room with it, running on 3 would be as much as I'd try with a television on, and you'll want to bump the volume some. At 3 it's a just touch louder than the wood stove insert fan in my living room (where my TV is).

Cheers, and sorry for the late reply!
- Jeff

Hello I have a 2010 Maxx. Great stove works to heat my old raised ranch. It is in the basement that is insulated. Heat rises up stairs to living room dining room and kitchen. Bedroom on the other side of house are cool which is the way the wife like it to sleep at night.

I found that on level 2 or 3 stove was a little too hot for my house. I wanted the blower on higher but not needed to waste as much fuel. Every house is different. Once the warranty was over I change the auger motor to a 2 RPM. Stove came with a 3 RPM. Now I can run the stove on level #2 down to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit in manual mode, Level # 3 below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, I us the trim to add more for below 30 an above 20. With the 2 RPM auger I burn less fuel an get more heat with the blower on higher.

With ager on level 3 stove will keep house warm down to about 5-10 degrees. When it is colder at night I use trim to add more fuel. Level 4-5 are only for fast recovery when stove has been off ( power loss or let it run out of pellets.)

there was no Maxx m when I got my stove. I have burned all kinds of pellets with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.