Enviro Meridian pellet insert that makes my house smell like smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

elizabethannew

Jan 27, 2020
Ontario Canada
Hi! New to the forum. recently purchased a Enviro Meridian pellet insert about 2 weeks ago. We are burning premium hardwood pellets. Some days it smells like smoke in my house, some days nothing. Ive tried giving it more air by adjusting the knob on the side. I run it on Low, just in setting 1 with the feed trim at 5, we really don't need more heat than that produces, dosent take much and the house is too warm. My house is just a small bungalow. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue? I spoke to the dealer today and they will send someone to check it out. I don't see anything obvious. The gaskets all seem to be in place. When I put my nose to the top of the surround I don't smell smoke, I would think if there was a problem in the exhaust connection Id smell smoke there. I know the combustion/exhaust fan is running. Any Suggestions of other things to look at? Thank you in advance

Welcome to the forum
Your stove is an insert
Is it connected to a pipe that goes all the way up your chimney
Are all the exhaust connections sealed?
The Exhaust pipe and clean out T connections are the most common points of smoke leakage
Also is your stove connected to an outside air kit (OAK)

John is right. Does the liner go all the way to the top of the chimney? And if it does either the liner into the T or the stove adapter isn’t sealed properly. Very common.

+1. A pellet stove won't produce enough vent combustion heat to induce a draft in a conventional chimney under most circumstances so it needs to have a pellet vent liner the entire way up the old chimney. If yours don't, you are getting a back draft and that is what you smell.

If it is a brand new stove it. May be burn in. It is recommended to burn it at high for a couple hours to cure the paint and burn off any oils from the manufacturing. May need to open doors and windows while doing this

They all stink when new.....

Welcome to the forum
Your stove is an insert
The Exhaust pipe and clean out T connections are the most common points of smoke leakage
Thanks for the reply, yes it has a continual stainless steel liner all the way up the chimney, probably 25 feet to the top, with a cap. I know they had the red silicone when they installed the insert, can't say for sure where they used it

If it is a brand new stove it. May be burn in. It is recommended to burn it at high for a couple hours to cure the paint and burn off any oils from the manufacturing. May need to open doors and windows while doing this
I did do the burn in the first night and the smell is like the smell of a wood stove so I dont think it's that. I turned the setting up to 2 which so far seems to have helped, so far any ways. But 2 makes my house too warm, so have been shutting it off for a few hours a few times a day

+1. A pellet stove won't produce enough vent combustion heat to induce a draft in a conventional chimney under most circumstances so it needs to have a pellet vent liner the entire way up the old chimney. If yours don't, you are getting a back draft and that is what you smell.
It is attached to a liner all the way to the top of the chimney with a cap

Welcome to the forum
Your stove is an insert
No outside air, they didnt feel I needed it in my 50+ year old home, but if it happens again I'll try opening a window a crack to see if that changes anything

I did do the burn in the first night and the smell is like the smell of a wood stove so I dont think it's that. I turned the setting up to 2 which so far seems to have helped, so far any ways. But 2 makes my house too warm, so have been shutting it off for a few hours a few times a day
If you have a leaky T or liner from lack of sealant you’re going to smell it most on start up or when it burns down on low. Pull the left side out a little and see if they are sealed properly.