Enviro Mini A help with convection fan hack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hindsight

Dec 27, 2017
Central ME
Hello all,
I have lurked these forums for about 5 years. Over the course of that time, Ive had 3 different woodstoves and I am now on my 3rd pellet burner. Info of past pellet stoves are an englander 25 pvdc that came with the house. Worked just didnt like the output as it seemed luke warm air, but it did indeed heat the home just didnt feel like good heat. I also had a quad mt vernon oe. Bought it used with problems that were not known at time of buying. Mainly a severely cracked burn pot. This stove was awesome and did more than enough heat for my 1100 sq ft upstairs heated area, but never burned right as i kept patching the hole in the pot. Thing was way to big and ultimately why i didnt fix and keep. It was on a brick hearth that i removed and had no other spot to put the stove.

So here we are, i heat 1100 sq ft of living area with an unheated equal amount downstairs as its basement/garage of a split level home. Half of the upstairs area is well insulated meaning 600 sq ft and about half of the other 600 sq ft is pretty well insulated. Kitchen wall of 24ft is not good. Attic insulation suffers at only about an r20 but I havent gotten that far yet in renovations.

I recently purchased a mini a from another forum member here. The stove is setup in an open living area. Vented through the wall in a straight run, for now. I am going to add a t and about 3 ft of vertical at some point soon. No OAK as the enviro oak is a bit silly to me.

So here's the deal and where I am getting the point. I have no control over the convection fan as far as speed goes. Its either off or on and ramps voltage based on the heat setting. The fan is only 105 cfm, but at lower burn settings it moves very little air at all. Basically the stove would not heat my home unless its on a 5 setting. Now i realize this is 30k btu and rated to heat my area almost exactly, but i expected more. So in messing around the other day I hooked 110 directly to the convection blower to test max speed. So as an experiment i left it running max for the day. Hooked up like that a 2 setting keeps my house 74 75. A 3 at 78. When with the factory fan settings at a 4 were doing 72 at most. So for you gurus out there im looking to see if i can wire this in some way with the factory harness to get the line voltage at all times without having an extension chord running in the back. The harness wiring is one white wire coming from the wall plug and two purple coming from control board. It is currently single digit temps outside and the stove is doing its job in its jerry rigged state.

On a side not the slider for air control does not seem to close up as far as i would think. I took it apart yesterday and cleaned it and filed and raised burrs off but still the same distance. I feel like i should be able to make a lazy flame with this slider, but it seems to be getting slightly to much air with a little overactive flame. I have already lowered the combustion blower setting to a 1(lowest) and damper as closed as i can get it. Is this a venting issue as Im currently very short run straight out. I have about 18" in total of pipe on the back at the moment.

Thank you Gentleman

I'm going to leave the fan issue alone. If you are not careful you can damage the board. As for the draft, when all the way in is there about an inch of the rod showing?

exactly 1.25" to the beginning of the threads on the rod. Its like 2.5" to the end of the black handle. I suppose another thought on the fan could be replacing the stock mini fan with one from a different stove that has a greater output. The castle serenity comes to mind since it is the same width

Just to touch on the hacking part. On your control board there is an prom chip. All are preprogrammed and surface mounted some a socket based and the prom is removable. That is where the programing that controls the whole stove and the settings. The programing is usually done in C++ but it all still boils down to binary code (1’s + 0’s) reverse engineering this code without permission is against Federal laws and even discussion of the act of doing it can get you 10. That being said it’s actually easyer to set up your own board with plc timers and triac’s, optioisolators etc.

exactly 1.25" to the beginning of the threads on the rod. Its like 2.5" to the end of the black handle. I suppose another thought on the fan could be replacing the stock mini fan with one from a different stove that has a greater output. The castle serenity comes to mind since it is the same width
Can you get me a length on the fan? Also if it's a single or double. You could splice into the power cord and put it on a toggle switch. Or better yet wire a separate cord with a toggle switch.

back in 2005 when I first installed my englander I direct vented it about 2ft. out the wall and I could not get that thing to heat, changed the vent set up to out and up 5 ft. and that made a night and day difference, I know being forced exhaust you would think it wouldn't matter much but it was absolutely the only thing I changed so it may be worth a shot to try.

interesting indeed about the exhaust. I will definitely put this on the need to do list.

Ssycho, I had no idea this was a punishable crime lol whats this world coming to.

I believe the fan is just under 17" I will have to take the panel off and measure again. Im quite sure a castle fan would work as it even looks very similar. If i wired it directly in place of enviro fan it would be a considerable increase in room air. From the manual a 1 heat setting is .81 volts increasing incrementally with heat setting to line voltage at a 5. The stock fan is 105 cfm while the castle fan is 150 cfm. So the castle fan would net a 1/3 more output throughout the range. I do wonder about amperage draw though and its effect on the board. I imagine it would be fine at 3 heat setting and under but not so sure about the 4 and 5 settings.

I also have not looked to see if the damper exhaust is carboned up, as we are 10 days below zero and have needed the stove running. I shut down to clean the heat exchanger tubes and ash out and thats about it.

Sorry so late guys the last three posts did not come through to my email.

Hindsight- anyone - I am wondering what the final hack was for Enviro mini convection fan .
Did castle fan work ? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Douglas

Hindsight- anyone - I am wondering what the final hack was for Enviro mini convection fan .
Did castle fan work ? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Douglas
He was a 3 post hit n run, and had been through 6 stoves, pretty sure he will not be back. It is generally considered unwise to put a "bigger" fan on a pellet or wood stove, as you can remove too much heat, causing fast buildup of crap and creosote.

Reactions: Washed-Up
MT BOB - Thanks for the heads up on the post I did not necessarily want a larger fan . The only problem with the Enviro Mini is the lack of fan speed adjustment . The fan runs per the heat adjustment . Heat level 5 fan runs full speed Heat level 4 through 1 runs on low speed .

MT BOB - Thanks for the heads up on the post I did not necessarily want a larger fan . The only problem with the Enviro Mini is the lack of fan speed adjustment . The fan runs per the heat adjustment . Heat level 5 fan runs full speed Heat level 4 through 1 runs on low speed .
Which was done for the reasons I posted. However, if yours is a Mini, and not a "Mini-A", you may benifit by upgrading your stove. Will leave you some info.

Reactions: johneh
MT Bob - Thanks for the info - I have a 2020 stove . Very happy with the Mini . Purchased used on Facebook. Drove 300 miles one way and paid $ 720 . All the reviews were spot on and was well worth the drive as the stove was like new . I was using an older englander prior to this mini . I will place englander in the garage . I would say the mini gives off very close to the same amount of heat as the englander , but so much more quieter . And takes up very little space .
Doug

Reactions: Mt Bob
MT Bob - Thanks for the info - I have a 2020 stove . Very happy with the Mini . Purchased used on Facebook. Drove 300 miles one way and paid $ 720 . All the reviews were spot on and was well worth the drive as the stove was like new . I was using an older englander prior to this mini . I will place englander in the garage . I would say the mini gives off very close to the same amount of heat as the englander , but so much more quieter . And takes up very little space .
Doug
Yep the mini A, or an upgraded mini. are nice stoves.