Enviro Windsor, does anyone have a PDF to the original brochure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
j-takeman said:
Look at it this way, We got you a 1 piece "no joint" leak reducer. :)

x2 but I'd still want it to be 4" ...

I think Chris has a bad case of Pyro withdrawal. You can just see him down on his knees putting a match to the pellets in the burn pot ;-) .

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:

I think Chris has a bad case of Pyro withdrawal. You can just see him down on his knees putting a match to the pellets in the burn pot ;-) .

LMAO! :lol: I really appreciate all the help here guys. It sure is a bummer to find out things aren't as perfect as you'd think. This is just part of my growing pains with the new pellet heat. But I'd much rather go into it informed than not know at all!!

As far as the EVL and all, I believe the prior owner had a full outside vertical run going beyond his roof, like a chimney (he said it worked better with it.) And what about those who run a full liner 20-30feet inside a masonry chimney? Don't they fall into the over EVL category? I can't see flex pipe being easier than the rigid double wall for the smoke to go through. At least the walls of the double wall are somewhat smooth.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Now don't go getting all excited, you have to check your clearances on the straight run first, you may not have the required clearance to that door, I can't tell from the picture. Even then things may not work, you are just over the limit on horizontal pipe.

The measurement from the cap to the corner of the door wold be about 4"6". The pipe would be quite a bit higher than the door about the level of the electrical box or a bit more. Then the diagonal measurement from cap to corner of door is OK.

VCBurner said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:

LMAO! :lol: I really apprecate all the help here guys. It suere is a bummer to find out things aren't as perfect as you'd think. This is just part of my growing pains with the new pellet heat. But I'd much rather go into it informed than not know at all!!

As far as the EVL and all, I believe the prior owner had a full outside vertical run going beyond his roof, like a chimney (he said it worked better with it.) And what about those who run a full liner 20-30feet inside a masonry chimney? Don't they fall into the over EVL category? I can't see flex pipe being easier than the rigid double wall for the smoke to go through. At least the walls of the double wall are somewhat smooth.

Some of them do and hopefully they are using a 4" liner.

On 3" you can have a TEE (EVL = 5) and 20' of vertical before reaching the magic 15 so vertical straight up (leak makers. god how I hate holes in a roof) work in almost all situations (there are some stoves that have problems with lower EVLs).

The limit on 4" would allow a TEE and several stories of vertical.

SmokeyTheBear said:
VCBurner said:
If I just went with a straight run and no vertical do I still need an appliance adaptor or can I just stick the pipe on it?

You need the adapter.

Ok that's what I thought!

OK, after all that chat, I hope your camera is working and you plan to put some pic's in here for the rest of us! Good luck with the install. You got the advice of the pros. Now, show us the heat :cheese:

save$ said:
OK, after all that chat, I hope your camera is working and you plan to put some pic's in here for the rest of us! Good luck with the install. You got the advice of the pros. Now, show us the heat :cheese:

Thanks brother, I can't wait to be able to put up some pics. I started the hearth pad today, which meant setting up my tools in the new basement. It took quite a bit of time just to lay out the pyro-guard plywood with the tyle to make sure the corner angles are going to work out perfectly, the hearth pad will look very similar to the one on the Enviro Empress flyer. With some minor differences. I started the base of the pad as well after cutting out the plywood. The bottom of the platform pad will have 1x4 makore (african cherry like wood.) I started to put it on today. Installing the pipes will be easier than the building of the pad. It'll be a joy to light it up for the first time.

Attachments

• -Empress-.jpg
    -Empress-.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 331
VCBurner said:
save$ said:

Thanks brother, I can't wait to be able to put up some pics. I started the hearth pad today, which meant setting up my tools in the new basement. It took quite a bit of time just to lay out the pyro-guard plywood with the tyle to make sure the corner angles are going to work out perfectly, the hearth pad will look very similar to the one on the Enviro Empress flyer. With some minor differences. I started the base of the pad as well after cutting out the plywood. The bottom of the platform pad will have 1x4 makore (african cherry like wood.) I started to put it on today. Installing the pipes will be easier than the building of the pad. It'll be a joy to light it up for the first time.

Look forward to the finished product! You should be ready just in time for the heating season..

Ray

Ok, so here's what I've got so far. The pyro-guard plywood is 3'x3' with cut outs in the front corners. The base is Makore. On top is Durock. The sandstone 12x12" tyle is almost all cut and dry-fit on top of the pad. The second member of the trim is just a temporary form like piece. After I mortar in the tyle and it dries, I'll wrap it in the Makore and add a nosing to the whole edge. It was actually pretty fun setting up the tools in the new house. I'm taking my time with it and trying to enjoy this time spent making something that'll last for years to come. Today was a full day, we went to a farm to get the boys some pumpkins and had a halloween hayride party from 6:30-8:30 this evening. You gotta love fall! Here are some pics!

I even had someone on firewatch for this project! :lol:

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 392
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 496
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 492
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 506
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 458
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 456
Cute little fellow!

I haven't seen pyro-guard plywood so I am learning something too! Looking good so far!

P.S.
Your work bench is neater than mine but only by a little! :cheese:

j-takeman said:
Cute little fellow!

I haven't seen pyro-guard plywood so I am learning something too! Looking good so far!

P.S.
Your work bench is neater than mine but only by a little! :cheese:

Thanks J,

The pad will be very heavy when finished and I'm hoping will last a long time! Pyro-guard is usually used in commercial construction, we deal with it a lot. My father-n-law grabbed this 1/2 sheet of 3/4 from his job, seeing as I'm laid off now. As well as the 2" EMT from the electricians and some sheetrock I'm using to block off the pipe inside the closet. It's one of the benefits of being a carpenter, sometimes it works against you, you just have to learn not to hoard material. :lol:

The bench is a disaster ;-) but I wanted to put it to use to try to get it done. Maybe after this project I'll set it up right! There's a workspace in the detached garage as well, but the dirt floor makes it a less feasible workshop.

SmokeyTheBear said:
You had a busy day from the looks and sounds of things.

It was great, dusting off the tools and doing fall related family fun!

VCBurner said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
You had a busy day from the looks and sounds of things.

It was great, dusting off the tools and doing fall related family fun!

Hay rides and Pumpkin Patches are a Great time for both us adults and the kids.

Hearth looks great. The Windsor should look great on there.

VCBurner said:
Ok, so here's what I've got so far. The pyro-guard plywood is 3'x3' with cut outs in the front corners. The base is Makore. On top is Durock. The sandstone 12x12" tyle is almost all cut and dry-fit on top of the pad. The second member of the trim is just a temporary form like piece. After I mortar in the tyle and it dries, I'll wrap it in the Makore and add a nosing to the whole edge. It was actually pretty fun setting up the tools in the new house. I'm taking my time with it and trying to enjoy this time spent making something that'll last for years to come. Today was a full day, we went to a farm to get the boys some pumpkins and had a halloween hayride party from 6:30-8:30 this evening. You gotta love fall! Here are some pics!

I even had someone on firewatch for this project! :lol:

That's gonna look great Chris! I didn't know they made Pyro-guard plywood.. I know there are chimicals that will inhibit flammable materials from burning once the heat source is removed in fact I wear clothes like that for work.. That is gonna be one pretty pellet stove when it gets done! Look forward to your pics and experiences plus comparisons between wood and pellets..

Ray

Hello again,

Boy am I glad this stove is finally hooked up. There are about 18 inches of snow outside! Just in time for the October Noreaster. I figured I'd post a few pics for everyone to see the finished product. I'll be back here tomorrow to discuss the entire instal. There are questions to ask and comparisons I have to make! But my inlaws came to spend the night and we're making a weekend out of it. There will be pumpkin carving and hot totties. Except no fall fire like we usually do! We'll have to go out for a snowman and snowball fight instead! :lol: HO HO HO!!!!

Here are some pics of the finished hearth pad and some from the first fire this afternoon. My little guy was putting his hands in front of the stove expecting hot air as soon as it lit up. He said: "Dad, I really liked our other stove!" It was only until the thing got crancking, the temp went from 61 to 77 in a hurry in the room where the stove is located! Yikes! Had to turn it way low and it kept at a good 69 degrees in here. There is some smoke build up on the glass! I'll have to figure out why! Anyways, thank you for all the great advice, hope you're enjoying the snow! If you're around here anyway! (79 degrees in Key west right now, low of 28 here tonight :exclaim: )

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 380
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 416
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 400
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 395
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 406
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 448
VCBurner said:
Hello again,

Boy am I glad this stove is finally hooked up. There are about 18 inches of snow outside! Just in time for the October Noreaster. I figured I'd post a few pics for everyone to see the finished product. I'll be back here tomorrow to discuss the entire instal. There are questions to ask and comparisons I have to make! But my inlaws came to spend the night and we're making a weekend out of it. There will be pumpkin carving and hot totties. Except no fall fire like we usually do! We'll have to go out for a snowman and snowball fight instead! :lol: HO HO HO!!!!

Here are some pics of the finished hearth pad and some from the first fire this afternoon. My little guy was putting his hands in front of the stove expecting hot air as soon as it lit up. He said: "Dad, I really liked our other stove!" It was only until the thing got crancking, the temp went from 61 to 77 in a hurry in the room where the stove is located! Yikes! Had to turn it way low and it kept at a good 69 degrees in here. There is some smoke build up on the glass! I'll have to figure out why! Anyways, thank you for all the great advice, hope you're enjoying the snow! If you're around here anyway! (79 degrees in Key west right now, low of 28 here tonight :exclaim: )

Well, you got that up and running just in time. Nice hearth pad. It turned out real nice. How's the heat from that thing and how does it differ in terms of heat and heat movement from the DW you ran?

BrowningBAR said:
Well, you got that up and running just in time. Nice hearth pad. It turned out real nice. How's the heat from that thing and how does it differ in terms of heat and heat movement from the DW you ran?

Pfeew! You said it brother, I was outside screwing off a wall bracket to the pipes while my son held the pipe on the ladder, the snow was coming down hard! Thanks browning, that hearth pad took a long time and effort to make. The heat is amazing, so much of it can be had so easily! Effortless! I can turn it way don to keep it 69 or put it up a couple of notches and get it to 72. The wood stove had a lot more highs and lows and it was a lot more labor intensive. The nice thing about it is you can have intense heat coming from the tubes but the sides are only warm to the touch! The wood stove would be untouchable before it could throw that much heat. It sure is safer for the kids to have around the house. A bit noisy though. Way louder than the blower
on the DW. But the blower on it is a lot more efficient than the Dw as far as air movement.

VCBurner said:
BrowningBAR said:

Pfeew! You said it brother, I was outside screwing off a wall bracket to the pipes while my son held the pipe on the ladder, the snow was comind down hard! Thanks browning, that hearth pad took a long time and effort to make. The heat is amazing, so much of it can be had so easily! Effortless! I can turn it way don to keep it 69 or put it up a couple of notches and get it to 72. The wood stove had a lot more highs and lows and it was a lot more labor intensive. The nice thing about it is you can have intense heat coming from the tubes but the sides are only warm to the touch! The wood stove would be untouchable before it could throw that much heat. It sure is safer for the kids to have around the house. A bit noisy though. Way louder than the blower
on the DW. But the blower on it is a lot more efficient than the Dw as far as air movement.

How many square feet is the new place and how many square feet is the Windsor rated for?

Wow... looks great. Love the raised hearth. And x100 on being safer for kids. The glass and a little steel is all that gets hot on most models. The top of mine I could sit on (nothing but hopper underneath)..

May you get many years of enjoyment from that stove. Pellets stoves have a smaller hole needed for the wall and are less invasive than the large hole from a woodstove. So no matter where you move, it can come along..

Fine looking lad you have in the one pic... I only have 2 (10 yr old Son and a 5 month old Daughter) and they are what makes life worth livin. Keep your family warm and congrats again. Been a long time comin from when you made the 1st post about this stove. Good thread, lots of info and links. Enjoy.

Chris great job on the hearth and the stove looks great! Your family will be nice and warm now :) By the looks of it your boys love it as much as you do! We got a dusting of snow here which is very rare this early.. Thanx for all the info and great posts!

Good luck!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.