EPA 2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
What will happen in 2020 to all the stoves that don't meet the emission requirements? I just priced a Lopi Cape Cod and it was well over $4000.00. This is the problem with these regulations. It drives up the cost of the stove to the consumers.

What will happen in 2020 to all the stoves that don't meet the emission requirements? I just priced a Lopi Cape Cod and it was well over $4000.00. This is the problem with these regulations. It drives up the cost of the stove to the consumers.

There's plenty of less expensive stoves out there, the Lopi Cape Cod is a high-end cast iron stove with push button ignition.

How much do you think it would cost if the EPA didn't regulate woodstoves? Oh, wait, it probably wouldn't even be available.

Stoves already purchased when the cleaner burning mandate is in effect will keep on burning away. New stoves that can't burn efficiently and cleanly enough to meet the standard will either be improved until they do or taken off the market.

I suppose it does drive the cost up. I am against all regulations purely on principal. That being said the EPA stoves generally burn better overall. I have a Jotul 3 which I purchased new when it was the only EPA stove available without catalytic, about 20 years ago. Last time I checked a chart it was still way below the latest acceptable EPA emission levels. After 20 years of burning 3-4 cord per, I have not had to change anything but door and glass gaskets. At time of purchase I got a real good deal from a shop that was planning on going out of business and pretty much liquidating. $780 including door screen. One of the better purchases I have made :) Manly

Reactions: lsucet and jotulguy
Stove prices and several other items have gone up notably in the past 5-7 years in spite of low inflation and no change in regulations. Some have gone up 50% during this period.
As far as what will happen, prices will continue to rise, sometimes in direct correlation to CEO salaries, regardless of regulation or the lack of it.

What will happen in 2020 to all the stoves that don't meet the emission requirements?

Simply purchase a pre 2020 model while it's still abvailable. :)
I bought this discontinued pre EPA dual fuel Efel on a closeout sale for $500.

7BwyP2P.jpg

We used it for 32 years. It was a wood hog compared to the frugal little Morso but it kept us warm and comfy for decades and was still in excellent working condition when I sold it for $500.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: chance04