EPA and 8" Chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

amace

Oct 23, 2019
Pa
Do all EPA stoves call for a 6" pipe or will a 8" pipe still work. I just took back my Englander stove because it was warped but when I did get it to work right it seemed to burn good. Im looking to get a drolet either 2000 or 3000 but i am worried now about not having the right size pipe and i dont want to go through replacing a stove all over again.

Check the manual, some Drolets say 6" only. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't work on "some" 8" chimneys, but the best operation will be on the required 6" round. We can hypothesize whether a stove will work well, but there are so many variables that the proof of the pudding is in the particular home with it's particular flue setup.

Refresh our memories and describe the complete chimney system that the stove will be connecting to. Do you have the budget for a more expensive stove if it solves the issue or is this not an option?

Do all EPA stoves call for a 6" pipe or will a 8" pipe still work. I just took back my Englander stove because it was warped but when I did get it to work right it seemed to burn good. Im looking to get a drolet either 2000 or 3000 but i am worried now about not having the right size pipe and i dont want to go through replacing a stove all over again.
There are a few extra large stoves that run on 8" chimneys the big regency blaze king buck and I believe Kuma has one.

Some of these stoves like the Kuma Sequoia have not made it to the 2020 LE model stage. Not sure about the Buck either.

Some of these stoves like the Kuma Sequoia have not made it to the 2020 LE model stage. Not sure about the Buck either.
Yeah I don't know about those 2 either. But if they are looking for a stove now it doesn't matter

Well I am a idiot and embarrassed but it turns out it is 6". I attached a picture of where it goes into the floor, I always thought that connection was a reducer going from 6" to 8". I always had a outdoor stove growing up. This inside stuff is somewhat new to me

Attachments

• 20191208_213653.jpg
    20191208_213653.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 65
That looks like a 6" to 8" increaser at the ceiling support box.

That looks like a 6" to 8" increaser at the ceiling support box.

That's what I thought also but when I look up the pipe it's all the same size and I use a 6" brush also (never looked before now). My father in-law built this house but unfortunately he is no longer alive so I can't ask him what he did but is there a chance since the pipe runs through the middle of the house he has a 8" piped line with 6" for extra protection?

Sure looks like an increaser to me. Take it apart or check the chimney pipe up above by pulling the cap. If it's 6" all the way you are golden.