EPA and ethanol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Delta-T said:
isn't Brazil using cane sugar to produce the ethanol? this is more efficient as far as I know (higher yield). They just happen to have the right climate for it. We might be able to make the same thing happen with beets, but I dunno how intensive that is. Any beet farmers on the forum?

There are lots of options for feed stock. From corn to switch grass to beets and sugar cane (down south). The current problem with those options are the logistics. We raise corn and beans. Lots of them. We have the infrastructure to deal with it. Many changes (and expensive ones at that) would need to be made to change over to another feed stock other than switch grass. Most farmers can still bale the stuff.

I think it is more about entrenched economic interests. The corn industry is huge and subsidized. Their lobbying power is enormous, especially when coupled with the fertilizer and seed company lobbys of ADM, Monsanto and Dow. Switchgrass just grows, no profit there. Miscanthus is a great feedstock and easy to grow too. Actually, hemp is also a great source of feedstock. It grows and harvests super easily. And even though this is not reefer style plants and the fact that it used to be a required crop on large farms for our national interests, it is not on the table. However, there are some saying that municipal solid waste, MSW, may be one of the better feedstock out there in cheap and ready supply. Poop on! http://fulcrum-bioenergy.com/thermo-chemical-conversion.html

BeGreen said:
I think it is more about entrenched economic interests. The corn industry is huge and subsidized. Their lobbying power is enormous, especially when coupled with the fertilizer and seed company lobbys of ADM, Monsanto and Dow.

No doubt that there is plenty of political pull from these folks. But the corn industry being "huge" was part of the draw. It could immediately supply a current feedstock that was in ready supply. There would have been staggering costs as well as some learning curve to change the average farmer (that were already in dire straights because of $2.50 a bushel corn). HOPEFULLY we can look into some of the more "no brainer" feed stocks in the near future.

But of course - we would be consuming land that COULD grow food :p (sorry Dune, I had to buddy)

I really wish we could get past the politics and lobbying when we are considering our future energy needs. Its just too darn important to the rest of us.

I'm basically opposed to a using plant that is also a food for fuelstock. The huge monocrops of corn are very threatening to the world's food supply. It's way too vulnerable to a disease spreading like wildfire throughout the world crops due to lack of genetic diversity. And it sucks the life out of the soil instead of returning nutrients. This leads one down to the rabbit hole of soil exhaustion. Corn is a bad idea for fuel. There are much better feedstocks.

Your wish is a good one, but unlikely in a corporatocracy. The needs of the individual are now secondary to the needs of the corporation and shareholders. Unless another corporation or the defense dept. has the need, it probably isn't going to happen until the cost causes unrest in the flock.

I'm opposed to using any alcohol as an automotive fuel. None should be diverted away from it's rightful purpose of getting somebody shellaced.

Where is Blutarsky when you need him.

Delta-T said:
isn't Brazil using cane sugar to produce the ethanol? this is more efficient as far as I know (higher yield). They just happen to have the right climate for it. We might be able to make the same thing happen with beets, but I dunno how intensive that is. Any beet farmers on the forum?

Wood is our sugarcane. http://methanol.org/

We have 5 million acres of fallow pulp wood forest. The infra-structure to harvest exists still today.

Wood is already the largest source of renewable fuel, and presently underutilized.

and methanol doesn't mess with the drinkable alcohol supply either, bonus points for that one.

One other thing to consider is ethanol is very corrosive, the State of Maine forced gasoline dealers to change underground pipe that might have had issues with 10% ethanol. Cost alot of money and put small businesses out of the gas business as some couldn't afford to change the pipe. 15% is pushing the limits of present gasoline equipment so I expect more piping and possibly pumps, meters and valving to come out if this goes ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.