EPA decides no old model sell through

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Or build a fire in them once...no no no, its not new, its a used stove... that still has warranty left on it. ::-)
Retailers are considered commercial owners. Having a fire in it doesn't make it used until all parties are non commercial owners. Surveys show very few Step 1 heaters remain in dealer inventory.

Last edited:
While this is true it's also driven by consumers, the "Wal-Mart crowd", for lack of a better term, don't want to pay $25 for a toaster made in the US, they'd rather pay $14.99 and have it made in China.

I think there's a lot of people starting to see the mistakes in this now, unfortunately for many sectors it's too little too late. Things like semi-conductor manufacturing I never see returning to the America's, Asia now has the leading technology and the barriers for re-entry in North America are just too high.

Don’t forget shareholders. We demand maximum profit from the companies we own.

Reactions: ABMax24 and bholler
An excellent book is "Making Steel: Sparrows Point and the Rise and Ruin of American Industrial Might" about the steel industry.

I moved to western NJ in 1986 in time for the final death throes of Bethlehem Steel.