lampmfg Posted By lampmfg, Sep 8, 2017 at 10:33 AM

1. Mojappa

Mojappa
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2018
    Loc:
    Gerrardstown, WV
    I agree totally but I did back my decision up with loads of research. Initially a friend was trying to sell me on the Hot Blast since they were so cheap, didn't take long to figure out that going with the cheapest furnace I could find was only going to escalate the fruatration in my battle with wood heat. The Drolet seemed to get good reviews and was at the top of my budget. I know it's not the best I could've gotten but it does seem like it will at least be efficient and warm my house finally. if I had found a way to fund the Kuuma there would be no money left for the install. from what I gather the biggest "issue" with the Drolet is remedied by adding a speed controller to the blower fan so it will run continuously at low RPM instead of constantly cycling. So long as it burns better than the Fire Chief I'll be happy lol. coming from an inefficient Fisher in the basement I am hopeful that there will be a night and day difference with heat distribution.

JRHAWK9 likes this.
  2. STIHLY DAN

STIHLY DAN
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2013
    Loc:
    So NH
    I do not agree, I am the one who came up with the controller idea. It helps but does not do the same thing as the kumma. The kumma would do even better if they incorporated this, but they are already number one so why would they? I have the Kumma and have not done this because i am happy with the way it runs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mojappa

Mojappa
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2018
    Loc:
    Gerrardstown, WV
    Didn’t mean to imply that that mod made them equal, just that it improved the Drolet’s heating ability. My apologies for unintended confusion, I’m well aware my $2000 furnace will never perform like a $5,000 one. Thanks for your time invested making improvements.

4. STIHLY DAN

STIHLY DAN
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2013
    Loc:
    So NH
    Thank you for the nice comments. Price is irrelevant, If SBI made the Kuuma it would be a lower price, mass production and all. Take cord wood, I can by it for $275 a cord. But if I were to sell my wood processed by me, It would be $500 or more. Because of the amount of time it took me to do so with the equipment I have. Twice the price doesn't always mean a better product.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    lampmfg likes this.
  5. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    If or when? I wonder how long the kuuma design can stay kuuma's before they either sell or get copied. Remember when fuel injection first came out? Now they all have it.

Price is very relevant to most folks. If efficiencies gained by mass production (but same quality of course) bring the price down for the consumer then doesn't everybody win?

laynes69 likes this.
  6. STIHLY DAN

STIHLY DAN
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2013
    Loc:
    So NH
    Thats why they invented patents. So the inventors of good products don't get screwed. Thats a major issue with manufacturing in China. They don't follow patents, ergo the predator engine, a carbon copy of honda. So yes everyone wins except the inventor. WHICH IS WRONG.

7. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    Reverse engineering if necessary but look at all the noncat tube stoves. They all use a very very similar technology to meet emissions regulations. You know that nobody wants to reinvent the wheel.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Yeah, I have wondered before how many Kuumas are at "ACME Stoveworks" right now for this very purpose? You know there has to be a few...

Highbeam likes this.