EPA Stove or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jclout

Oct 15, 2007
Southbridge, Massachusetts
Guys how much of a difference does it make to be EPA approved as compared to a simmilar stove that is not EPA, both being new and air tight? Also how can some stoves with lower BTU's heat a larger sq ft area than other stoves with a higher BTU rating when comparing them?

You need to take the btu and sq ftg claims with a really large grain of salt. Some manufacturers are pretty conservative and others overstate them heavily. Go by firebox size first. You can only derive so much heat from a load of wood.

Would the EPA question be about Vogelzang stoves? Englanders sell for the about the same prices and you can't beat them for support. I suspect you're dealing with some sticker shock right now, but try not to be pennywise and pound foolish. Get a well built stove with good support and you will spend a lot less, year after year.

Number one there aren't any air tight stoves anymore. Period. They either control the air that gets into them in a way that burns more efficiently or they just let air in. The ones that just let it in are called 35 to 1 EPA exempt stoves. Number two is that in the low buck range where the 35 to 1 stoves reside there are lots of clean burn stoves for just a few bucks more and you get more heat with less wood. The idea that there is free wood is bullsh*t. It costs you time, equipment and fuel. Get a stove that causes you to less of each.

S. N.

The biggest advantage to a EPA certified stove IMO besides a cleaner burn is that you can legally burn it during a Class I burn ban. The combustion efficiency (don't confuse that with Thermal Efficiency) is much higher than a non-EPA unit and therefor less polluting.

Until one has experienced secondary burn they have not experienced wood burning.

babalu87 said:
Until one has experienced secondary burn they have not experienced wood burning.

You know it is similar to the northern lights on a cold snowy night huh? I also like having a fire during the day without dumping smoke down the street, but even an EPA stove can do that if you don't pay attention.

Brother Bart I'm not sure what you mean about some stoves just letting air in as compared to stoves that controle the air also could you clearify about the 35-1 non EPA stoves?. The story is about the V stoves and others also. I looked on line and am finding it hard to find the Englanders.

Stove Nut said:
Brother Bart I'm not sure what you mean about some stoves just letting air in as compared to stoves that controle the air also could you clearify about the 35-1 non EPA stoves?. The story is about the V stoves and others also. I looked on line and am finding it hard to find the Englanders.

Englanders are sold at Home Depot. The Summers Heat line, also same maker & stove as Englander, is sold at Lowes.

BeGreen said:
You need to take the btu and sq ftg claims with a really large grain of salt. Some manufacturers are pretty conservative and others overstate them heavily. Go by firebox size first. You can only derive so much heat from a load of wood.

Would the EPA question be about Vogelzang stoves? Englanders sell for the about the same prices and you can't beat them for support. I suspect you're dealing with some sticker shock right now, but try not to be pennywise and pound foolish. Get a well built stove with good support and you will spend a lot less, year after year.

thanks for the plug bro,
but there is a big diference between epa cert and exempt , and its not just firebox size.
a perfect example is our 12 series and our 13 series, they both have the same firebox size, however the 12 is an exempt 35-1 f/a ratio stove, the 13 is a cert reburn unit.
the 12 is rated at up to 1k sq ft, the 13 can eat half again that, due to the reburn itself. 35-1 units do not have cats or tubes, and do not take advantage of the technology that a reburn unit does, therefore they do not hold a fire as long and consequently dont produce as much heat stick for stick,personally , off da record, i hate 35-1 units, but the market clamors for them as they are very inexpensive to produce and market. but they simply do not produce the long term heat that an epa unit makes, they are ok for a small structure that doesnt require as much heat , but sholdnt be considered as a primary whole house heater in most circumstancesIMHO

Thanks for the info Mike. I didn't know that about the 12-FP. So in respect to Corie's grandpa, what are the average usable heat burn times in a 13-NC?

Stove Nut said:

overstockstoves.com

Englander, Summers Heat and TimberRidge are all the same stoves.

Attachments

• nc-30kickin.JPG
    nc-30kickin.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 919
precaud said:
Isn't that the nuclear model?

Friend down at the Norfolk sub base gave me the fuel. Kinda funny looking and glows in the dark but it makes the stove take off like a rocket.

Thought so. But that would be an afterburner, not a reburner...
Or is that... burn again? :)

If you are going to buy a new stove I can`t imagine why you wouldn`t buy EPA approved? It`s a no brainer! Are you still burning those old Franklins? Lordy! We had one of those about 35 years ago very,very little heat coming out of those suckers...I mean, you may as well burn dollar bills in a tin can (at least that would keep your hands warm) :lol: FYI -not pushing new stoves, after all we are still burning our 1985 Pacific Energy which really throws out the heat.

stoveguy2esw said:
precaud said:
Thought so. But that would be an afterburner, not a reburner...
Or is that... burn again? :)

actually that would be a fission burner (thermonuclear woodstove)

After an earlier thread I now refer to it as "This Total Cheapskate's Everburn".

BrotherBart said:
Hiram Maxim said:
BrotherBart said:
synthnut said:
Is the larger 30 model a reburn unit ? ......

Yep:

So is this one a reburn?
Thank you, Hiram
http://www.overstockstoves.com/50nowomo2sqf.html

Yep. Exact same stove as mine.

Brother Bart,

Thanks for your reply! Maybe I can ask you a few questions?

How many sq. ft. are you heating? I have 2116 sq ft

do you have the optional blower?

Are you using it 24/7?

How much wood do you go through is a season?

I'm really putting some thought into the purchase of this stove and would like to hear anything about!

I have an older (1980's) Masters Choice, Model 32 made by The Defiance Company but I thought I'd step up and get a more efficient stove.

Thank you for your time, Hiram

How many sq. ft. are you heating? I have 2116 sq ft 2,500

do you have the optional blower? Yes

Are you using it 24/7? Only heat in the house. Yep.

How much wood do you go through is a season? Been five cords a year for twenty years. Just put the 30 in last season and hoping to bring that down to four.

BrotherBart said:
How many sq. ft. are you heating? I have 2116 sq ft 2,500

do you have the optional blower? Yes

Are you using it 24/7? Only heat in the house. Yep.

How much wood do you go through is a season? Been five cords a year for twenty years. Just put the 30 in last season and hoping to bring that down to four.

Thanks for the info Brother Bart.

Status
Not open for further replies.