EPA tax Credit BS?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GM80NY

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate NY West of Albany
Going through turbo tax I can't get to a line item for biomass stoves. Furthermore all signs are pointing toward this credit isn't refundable anyway. Thank God this wasn't a factor buying this stove. Anyone else had an issue with this?? I doubt I will ever owe anything for federal tax returns. So this "credit" will just sit there seemingly forever.

Going through turbo tax I can't get to a line item for biomass stoves. Furthermore all signs are pointing toward this credit isn't refundable anyway. Thank God this wasn't a factor buying this stove. Anyone else had an issue with this?? I doubt I will ever owe anything for federal tax returns. So this "credit" will just sit there seemingly forever.
Yes I believe it is not refundable. But it isn't BS, it is a real credit. Turbo tax may not have it in their software though

It's not a refund. It's a credit applied against your tax burden. @GM80NY can you elaborate on how you will never owe any federal tax? Surely others would be interested as well.

Reactions: yooperdave
It's not a refund. It's a credit applied against your tax burden. @GM80NY can you elaborate on how you will never owe any federal tax? Surely others would be interested as well.
So this credit can only be applied if after your taxes are done and you owe money. I always have a refund. This is what I meant.

Reactions: Jones93
good info....With turbo tax i always wait until march until all the updates are loaded.

Reactions: GM80NY
So this credit can only be applied if after your taxes are done and you owe money. I always have a refund. This is what I meant.
I believe it carries over just have less withheld next year

Reactions: Bapa323
That is not ho

That is not how tax credits work.
Credits are added to any money you paid in. Then any amount over your actual tax due is refunded.
That is only if the credits are refundable. I don't believe this one is. But I could be wrong it may be

That is only if the credits are refundable. I don't believe this one is. But I could be wrong it may be
From what Ive researched its non-refundable.

Not necessarily...you might get a larger refund unless you are already getting 100% back, in which case a non-refundable credit would not benefit you.

This is a good point to consider for those shopping for stoves. Take a close look at your tax situation before driving yourself crazy trying to find an eligible stove. You may find out there's no benefit to taking the credit.

This is especially true for those with kids as the expanded credits are wiping out federal tax liability for many people.

no, refundable means that even if your tax bill was zero, you get the credit.
nonrefundable means your tax bill will be lowered by the amount of the credit, UNTIL your tax bill is zero.

i.e. If your taxbill is zero, you won't get money for a nonrefundable credit.
If your taxbill is not zero (and regardless of whether your withholding during the year was too much (->refund) or not enough (->bill)), then that bill gets reduced by the (nonrefundable) credit.

In essence the nonrefundable credit gets deducted from the total amount you owe over the year, regardless of what you did with the withholdings during the year.
A refundable credit you get even if you owe zero taxes regardless of what you did with the withholdings during the year.

THe tax credit for 2021 was not refundable. I.e. if your tax bill (again, regardless of withholding numbers) is zero, you won't be benefited by this tax credit. But if you are paying taxes (even if you already paid more than you had to, and thus get a refund), you will be able to take advantage of the 2021 tax credit by increasing your refund (until your bill is zero).

Last edited:
I have a $15,000 (2 EV credits )credit for tax year 2021. The EV credits are non refundable. I worked part time last year and money was deducted from my paychecks. Wehn I fill my taxes out if my total tax liability is less than 15K

I have a $15,000 (2 EV credits )credit for tax year 2021. The EV credits are non refundable. I worked part time last year and money was deducted from my paychecks. Wehn I fill my taxes out if my total tax liability is less than 15K
meaning you will zero out your tax liability: when your tax bill is less than your credits, i.e. you'll get all your (already withheld) taxes back.

I asked about this recently in the stickied thread. I *believe* that TurboTax does not yet have the updated form, as you can enter this in TurboTax in the energy efficiency section but it only gives you the old $300 credit. I went all the way to the end where you file and it said the form that is used for this credit isnt updated and will be updated Feb. 2nd. I am hoping that after that form is updated, I can go back and do the credit again and it gives the full 26% credit.

Reactions: stoveliker
For some reason my final posting did not "stick". Yes you are correct no matter how much was withheld on my income it all comes down to, was my total tax liability more than 15K?. If it was I get the full credit against my tax liability, if my tax liability was less than 15K then I only get the amount of my tax liability and the difference is the part that is nonrefundable. Let's say I was an optimist and withheld nothing from my paycheck last year and owed 15K tax liability, with the credits deducted, I owe IRS nothing. If on the other hand I withheld 15K off my paychecks the government owes me 15K.

A key thing to remember is the IRS is still processing returns from last year and they have warned taxpayers that refunds on this year's taxes could be at least one year late due to lack of staff and funding. Therefore, its even a better year than normal to owe the IRS money instead of waiting a long time to get a check. In my case I sold some mutual funds that had a lot of capital gains so that I end up owing.

I guess then
That is not ho

Credits are added to any money you paid in. Then any amount over your actual tax due is refunded.
That is not ho

maybe i am being a bit too presumptuous then.

no, refundable means that even if your tax bill was zero, you get the credit.
nonrefundable means your tax bill will be lowered by the amount of the credit, UNTIL your tax bill is zero.

i.e. If your taxbill is zero, you won't get money for a nonrefundable credit.
If your taxbill is not zero (and regardless of whether your withholding during the year was too much (->refund) or not enough (->bill)), then that bill gets reduced by the (nonrefundable) credit.

In essence the nonrefundable credit gets deducted from the total amount you owe over the year, regardless of what you did with the withholdings during the year.
A refundable credit you get even if you owe zero taxes regardless of what you did with the withholdings during the year.

THe tax credit for 2021 was not refundable. I.e. if your tax bill (again, regardless of withholding numbers) is zero, you won't be benefited by this tax credit. But if you are paying taxes (even if you already paid more than you had to, and thus get a refund), you will be able to take advantage of the 2021 tax credit by increasing your refund (until your bill is zero).
Thanks for the hope. I will see how this develops and will yell at you if you are wrong. J/K! :)

As the other poster said, wait for TurboTax to get the forms ready (and they are waiting for the IRS to finalize the forms).

Turbo tax has been saying that they would update the form for years. Even when I filed for the credit last year they never did update the form. When I called them and actually spoke with a person at turbo tax I was told that that form would not be available through turbo tax. The only way to get the credit would be to pay a professional preparer or do your own taxes the old fashioned way. I tried tax act, HR Block and several other online tax preparers and got the same result.

You can always just do it on paper yourself as well

Reactions: wagne223
Or pay someone $150 to get $2000..

Reactions: bholler
So just wanted to update Turbo tax does have a spot to put this info and I don't know if it was because their software updated since I posted this or because I called their customer service (free) and they got me there today. It added the entire amount to my refund so I must've been paying over that much still. Just wanted to let people know!

Reactions: MR. GLO