EPA Wood Stove Odd Chimney size inside diameter question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick1

Jan 6, 2009
East Central MN
I have a Drolet Austral 70,000 btu EPA wood stove. I am in the planning stages of installing the stove. I know a guy thats getting rid of some old class A stainless chimney pipe thats maybe from the late 70's but in good shape. The problem is that he says that the inside diameter of the pipe is 6 1/2" and the outside diameter is 9". I have never herd of 6 1/2" inside diameter Class A stainless stove pipe. I have not seen the pipe yet and would like to. If in fact the pipe is 6 1/2 inside diameter would that be a problem since the stove calls for 6'' pipe. I am planning to have a chimney height of 17'.

I'd go new unless absolutely sure that I could still get every matching piece necessary for the old pipe. Otherwise it could be a can-o-worms.

Going with new pipe sounds like it would be easy and straight forward, but very spendy compared to Free (Class A pipe at least). My biggest concern is the pipe diamater difference from a smaller 6" to a larger 6 1/2" ID and how it would impact the operation of the stove, draught, and creosote. And obviously second concern is of course matching up the 2 differnt sizes comeing off the stove to the Class A safely and correctly. Would it be a mistake to increase the pipe diameter from the recomended 6" to 6 1/2". Thanks for all the help!

I don't think the 6.5 would effect the draft at all. Many people have good results exhausting a 6" into an 8" chimney. The problem would be the connection, maybe you could have a metal fab place make something for you. Make sure you do a good inspection of that pipe to make sure it is class "A" and still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.