EPDM users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhjohn

Apr 2, 2008
Seacoast, NH
I am going to order my EDPM liner soon. I think I am going to order three. One to put on the dirt floor (then I'll put in insulation). The second will go over the insulation and be the tank liner. THe third will be for the top.

Here is my question: My tank will be just under 25 x 15. I would like to order a 25 x 15 liner (cheaper for the liner and especially for the shipping). How much extra liner do I need to have? Could I get away with the 25 x 15 if I don't need any liner coming out of the tank? Also, any advantage of going with the 60 mil over the 45 mil?

Thanks for your help!

I have the same problem,I am building a 7' diam. tank 4' high.I am hoping to buy a 15x15 liner.There won't be any extra but the cost for 20x20 is a lot more.I will order a 10x10 for the top also.Every thread I have read mentions 45 mil so that is my plan.I don't know of any advantage with the thicker liner.I am planning to order this week.

What are the length, width, and height of the tank? The length of the epdm liner needs to be equal to the length of the tank, plus the height times 2, plus a little extra if you want it to wrap over the top of the tank walls. The width needs to be the width of the tank, plus 2 times the height, plus a little extra for the wrap over. I would get at least a foot extra at each edge to wrap over the walls. I bought mine with only 4 inches extra on the sides and I had to get greative to fasten it to the top of the walls.

NHFarmer said:
I have the same problem,I am building a 7' diam. tank 4' high.I am hoping to buy a 15x15 liner.There won't be any extra but the cost for 20x20 is a lot more.I will order a 10x10 for the top also.Every thread I have read mentions 45 mil so that is my plan.I don't know of any advantage with the thicker liner.I am planning to order this week.
I would seriously consider going for the 20x20, despite the cost. If your tank is round you will be able to wrap over with the corners of the square epdm, but there will be 4 points with no wrap over. This will make if difficult to make a seal.

I think 45 mil is probably better than 60 mil due to less bunching up of the excess epdm.

NHFarmer I'm going with a 7.5 ft tank. Thats the biggest I can fit in the available space. Are you going to insulate the bottom? I was going to put down 2" foam board between the concrete floor and the liner, so that will mean my walls will be 46" instead of 48". How much freeboard are you allowing for? I'm going to get the 20' by 25' and trim it to a 192" circle (16' 2") (46+46+90+6+6) that will give me enough left over for the cover. Its another 70 bucks and shipping more than a 15x15 and a 10x10 but I'd rather that than fighting with it and not having enough to go over the edges.

Greg H

I am installing 2 inches on concrete,yes I will also lose that space in the finished tank.I am thinking the 20x20 may make more sense.Cost is higher but I do agree it will make for a better install

When you look at prices, don't forget to do the math. A 15x15 is 225 sq ft, 20x20 is 400 sq ft, almost twice the size.

The math works out,I just hate to have all that waste.I'll have to find some use for it just to make me feel better

nhjohn said:
People who have orders EPDM - where did you order from? Did you find the measurements were exactly as advertised?

I ordered from justliners. I ordered a 15x20. I never laid it out flat and measured it, but based on how it fit into the hole I think the 15 foot dimension was very close to 15 feet. I think it came from a 15 foot wide roll. I am not sure about the 20 foot dimension because I had plenty of extra in that dimension. I put the liner into the hole then cut off the excess after I filled it with water. Getting it filled with water helps to give you a better feel of where to cut it becuase it prevents it from flopping around.

Just checked out justliners.com...prices seem reasonable, what does shipping go for? I don't want to setup and account just to find out the cost....

After pricing all of my options I found justliners to be the least expensive after shipping was included - by and average of $20. I made the purchase. Should be here by the end of the week - hopefully.

If you have commercial (flat) roof installers in your area you can buy a section of EPDM roofing from them and save you the shipping costs. We have had a few people come to my place of work looking for EPDM and it is as easy as cutting a piece off a roll and fitting it in to the vehicle...Check the commercial roofers in your area! DAVE

nhjohn - What did you pay in shipping?

EricV - Those prices are a bit higher than I have seen other places, so you are probably paying for the shipping one way or another. Once I have the shipping costs from several other places maybe their price will be lower.

Yep, there is no such thing as free anything. I'm sure it's buried in the price. But they have a deal with fed-ex so shop and compare.

[quote author="WoodNotOil" date="1214936064"]nhjohn - What did you pay in shipping?

I paid about 125 in shipping. My total bill was roughly 528 for two pieces of 15x 25 (158 each) and one piece of 5.5x 20 (68).

I found justliners to be most reasonable after accounting for shipping. The service has been good so far, but I'll see when the liners arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.