EPI-1401 thermometer location...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnF

Feb 17, 2008
MA
Probably a basic question but I installed a Napoleon 1401 insert last week. So far it is heating our house very well.

I have a Rutland thermometer for it and I was wondering what was considered the proper location to monitor the temperatures from? I initially had it on the front of the stove in the corner above the door but then tried it on the top/center of the stove and there is about a 100 degree difference between the two locations. Just trying to make sure I measure from a good location to be sure I do not under/over fire the stove.

Thanks,

Shawn

If you are reading the higher temp on the top and the lower temp on the door, then I think you have it down pat. I just leave mine on the top corner of the door and add 100 degrees to what it reads. I believe BeGreen mentioned that discrepency on an earlier post on this subject. Anyway, with an insert, it is a lot handier to be able to see the temp when front mounted. imho.

I keep it on top of my 1401, front temps were always lower, highest top temp I saw was 600. Normal temp for me is 350-450, keeps the house at a nice temp with low-med fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.