Equipment upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken Farmer

Burning Hunk
Dec 29, 2013
Wapakoneta, OH
Well I finally took the plunge and spent the cash on a big saw. New Stihl 660 Mag 36" bar. In the picture you can see my trusty 034 with a 20" bar in the foreground. That Oregon bar was on the saw when I picked it up, it will be replaced with a Cannon when its worn out. IMG_0624.jpg IMG_0619.jpg That new saw throws some serious chips. Also, over the winter Dad and I added a lift arm to our old log splitter. It works really well. Thought you guys might enjoy!!

Nice saw and a great mod for the splitter. That will save your back...

Awesome saw, I'd love to get a big saw like that someday. Ive used a splitter with a lift like that and its REALLY nice to have. I was splitting 50" rounds of oak by myself using it. Just nibble off the edges and use the lift as your helper. I like the expanded mesh on the face of the splitter ram too

Congrats, you'll love it! Just the other day mine was chewing through a 30"+ oak like it was nothing...

Great splitter mod! That new stihl should keep the chickens in line.

We've had that old splitter for 30 years or so, I guess. It was pretty old when we got it. That lift arm is a God-send when handling big rounds. And now with the big saw, we can make alot of big rounds pretty quick.

Nice......are you running a skip tooth chain on that 36 incher?

No skip tooth chain. Dad was a little nervous about kick back. I might throw one on to give it a try though.

Reactions: smokedragon
No skip tooth chain. Dad was a little nervous about kick back. I might throw one on to give it a try though.
Just don't try it out on that silver maple standin next to that brick chit house in the backround. Looks like it would be a hard drop.

Reactions: osagebow
Oh ya, that thing is hard. Tried tap it for sap to make syrup but couldn't get the spouts started.

Status
Not open for further replies.