Help me decide on some equipment. Chainsaws, pickaroons, timberjacks and mauls.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
i am a Dolmar fan ( well now days we call them Dolitas as Makita owns Dolmar now) as far as saws go. Not for everybody as the dealer net work is still a bit weak. All In all my advice is pick the dealer first- get what they service - not a fan of box store saws. ( and neither are the dealers).

Reactions: SpaceBus
The logox has been a tremendous help for cutting/splitting/stacking. I switched from a county line to a rugged made push thru splitter and added the log ox system this year and it has cut my work load in half I am convinced.

Reactions: EODMSgt
Tools aside I think some of what you are looking for is technique/philosophy to moving firewood. From what i understand you are 400 yards uphill from your truck, and your rounds are around 12". The 2 ways to get the log to the truck are a limbed log or in rounds. If you are cutting often in the same area, spend some time clearing a trail that you can use a sled or wagon on. Determine if you can move more wood per trip in log or round form. To move a log put a sled under the front. To move rounds stack them in a sled or wagon. The idea is to move as much wood as you can comfortably move per trip. Don't carry one round at a time or role it. If you can carry one you can slide 2 or 3 in a snow sled.

The most important part before you buy more firewood tools get some PPE (chaps, helmet, gloves, boots...).

I have this Stihl Peavy.
th?id=OIP.yYr-5eAWftI8m8AzUYVdWwHaBa&w=314&h=65&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.3&pid=1.jpg

added a stand
th?id=OIP.Tsaz47wGj88iXskRd-_s2gHaGJ&w=211&h=171&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.3&pid=1.jpg

upload_2019-5-14_9-49-13.jpeg

and the mentioned wedges...I us a hatchet to hit them in, I can whack any small branches out of the way with the hatchet..
Don't forget your helmet/earmuffs and chaps...

What Sean said about the safety equipment.

The logox has been a tremendous help for cutting/splitting/stacking. I switched from a county line to a rugged made push thru splitter and added the log ox system this year and it has cut my work load in half I am convinced.

I hadn't even heard of the LogOx until I saw your post so I looked it up and decided to give one a try. I'm definitely sold and have used the heck out of it since I got one. Having had multiple back surgeries over the years, this thing is definitely a back saver. Much better than the old POS log tongs I used to use. I still carry my Stihl peavey and pickaroon in the truck as they have their place as well, however the LogOx makes life much easier.

Looked up logox.
And what is this thing he's carrying.

Attachments

• Timberjack2.JPG
    Timberjack2.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 301
  • Timberjack2~2.JPG
    Timberjack2~2.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 283
upload_2019-6-5_9-25-57.jpeg

I have one of these .. that I bring out with the gas and oil ...were it if you want .. too much crap on his belt ..

Reactions: TreePointer
View attachment 244731
I have one of these .. that I bring out with the gas and oil ...were it if you want .. too much crap on his belt ..

Yep, too much crap. Batman carries less.

On a serious note, he's arguably breaking a safety rule. Even though it's in a belt pocket behind him, I'd never perform a task while holding/having volatile fuel on my person. I don't see a reason he can't set it aside before sawing.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
Yep, too much crap. Batman carries less.

On a serious note, he's arguably breaking a safety rule. Even though it's in a belt pocket behind him, I'd never perform a task while holding/having volatile fuel on my person. I don't see a reason he can't set it aside before sawing.
I would agree, too much. I have trouble maintaining things kept nearby (cant hook, wedge, file, fuel, oil), let alone keeping it on me. On the other hand - what do the guys in the trade do - tree fellers, timber cutters. I would think a strap on would come in handy, since the truck is sometimes/seldom nearby, but would think better drop it before cutting. No-one has come up with a use for the thing he has though - what the heck is that - photo op saw tooth - no earthly use?

...I would think a strap on would come in handy, since the truck is sometimes/seldom nearby, but would think better drop it before cutting. No-one has come up with a use for the thing he has though - what the heck is that - photo op saw tooth - no earthly use?

There are times I wish I had one of those nice chainsaw backpacks that firefighters & trail clearing crews use, but I never could justify the cost for what I do.

Like this one:

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/products.php?mi=21731&itemnum=35927

You would need to get a much larger one so you could backpack your wood out when you finish cutting it up.