Essex Thermodynamic Corp - I need contact info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHwood

Oct 12, 2008
northcentral NH
I have a 22 year old Wood/oil boiler heating system for my home. The system was manufactured by the Essex Thermodynamics Corporation. Essex originally listed with a Connecticut address in the 1980s. I am going to burn wood this year for the first time since 1991 and I need to replace the boiler tube brush rod (cleaning rod) and perhaps some other items. I also want to check on the operation procedure for the system when it is in wood fuel mode. I would be very grateful to hear from someone who can provide current contact information for this company. Perhaps they may be operating under a new name now.
Thank you.

NHwood,

I have an Essex Multi-Fuel 1000 sitting in my basement. The oil side is my primary heat source at the moment and has been for 10 years or so. The previous owners were never able to get the wood side working well and I have never tried to. We're doing a Garn install right now.

Back in January, I received a letter, addressed to the previous owner, from Essex Thermo, offering to sell us a new refractory for the boiler. Here is the contact info from the letter:

Essex Thermo
PO Box 9
Sterling, MA 01564 Phone: 800-874-3910 It was signed: Manual Pacheco; President

I had inquired on this forum more than once about the boiler and the company and nobody had heard of them. Small World.

Good Luck,

Rick

Well I realized this is an older post but I just purchased a used Essex boiler and found it useful for me, but I still could use some help.

The Gun boiler folks were really nice but they tell me they have not purchased Essex. I was told Essex is still out there but production number are very small.

I called the Essex Thermo phone numbers listed in this thread (the non toll free number can also be found in searches). I have called for two weeks now but still no answer.

The boiler is a model 2222.

Here is my wish list:
I would very much like to have an owner's manual for it.

There is only refractory on the bottom of the fire box, is this correct?
Are there grates in this machine?
Did the machine use an external aqua-state to control the water temperature?
The machine has a draft gauge, is this a customer add-on? or option? or standard?

Thanks for the help

Steve

I did find a schematic inside of the control box. I see there is a temperature controller and an over temp switch too.

The machine looks complete except I am surprised the refractory is only on the bottom of the fire box, and not on the sides.

The schematic shows a draft fan and a purge hood fan but I don't see the fresh air stoker fan, I would call it a blower, don't know what they called it. Does this fan run with the draft fan?

I was hoping someone would know about the refractory. I will call the new phone numbers tomorrow.

Success! I did get through to somebody, he was driving his car and said he would call me back to get my address so he can send me a owner's manual.

Thanks for all the help

Update:
Well thing have become interesting. I made a second contact after a week of no results. I was told the manual had already been sent, which was impressive since I hadn't given my address yet. I could understand this as a simple mistake. I was told he would send it again and he then asked for my address.

Three days latter I receive a call, "I need your credit car number". I asked him what for? He says the manuals cost $35. I asked how big is this manual. He stops and counts the pages and says 25 pages.

I declined the purchase.

I have owned an Essex since 1984 and have used it on wood and oil since. I am also having trouble contacting Essex Thermo. If anyone needs advise feel free to contact me. I also have original setup and user manual and would be willing to share.

That make three of us that I know.

I am only missing page 2 of the manual, the other person who has and Essex sent me the other pages.

I have refractory in the bottom but I don't think I have any refractory on the sides/back, there is no grate either is this normal?

Thanks for the help

Hi Steve- I do have the manual and can get a copy of page 2 out to you asap. I have had problems over the years with parts from Essex but they have always come through in the end, ( really need parts now so I hope they are still in business. The refractory has no grates and the sides of the firebox are metal. Being a downdraft furnace the sides do not get hot enough to distort. There should also be 2 inserts (about 12"x3"x2" with 2 holes in each) that go into the top of the refractory which when installed form a flash tube to burn the gassified wood, from there the hot gasses go into the 2 large tubes in the refractory and then into the metal tubes to the draft fan. (The gas travels in an "S" through the stove) I have your address from your web page and will send page 2 asap. I will also include ph# for any questions.- bild

Hey Steve I could us a copy of page 2 as well. Its good to hear people are still using these units. I have a solid fuel tech buddy coming over on the 14th to get my Essex up and running. I will keep you posted on my progress. Does anyone know what the BTU capability is with these units or square footage they will adequately heat. Hoping this unit it up to the task of heating our big old farmhouse. I know Steve plans on running storage with his system, but is anyone else running storage with their Essex.

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Frank- As I posted earlier I have been using my Essex since 1986. I am not real sure on this but I believe the unit puts out between 175000 and 220000 BTU. I can tell you for sure that it heats my entire house built 60 years ago (3400 sq ft in western CT) and supplies unlimited hot water through the HW coil. I have never felt the need for extra storage- The unit has always been adequate.

Jim (bild)

Good to hear Jim, Thanks for the information, can't wait to get it up and running.

Hey Jim,
Hate to keep bugging you with questions but what type of comsumption have you had in the past?(How many cord) Also trying to get an idea of burn times as well.

Thanks again,

Frank

My last year's burn from Nov- April was about 8 cords. Early and late in the season one load will last for 24 hrs and when it is real cold (20 deg) I load it 2 full times with a couple of logs in as soon as I get home from work. I burn only hardwood because it lasts longer but any wood will do. I believe you are near the ocean so I assume your consumption will be less than 8 cords. Don't feel you are bugging me with questions, glad to help. Jim

I did receive page two today, thanks.

Here is something I found that needed attention:
The damper was fouled with creosote. I needed to remove the metal shield that is bolted to the fire box opening. Then I removed about a quart of the stuff, and also scrapped the gasket clean. Afterwards the damper seem to move more smoothly (I had taken the drive motor off so I could turn it by hand).

Hi Steve- When I clean the unit before I start up in the fall I pull the whole loading door panel intact then I have access to the entire inside of the panel for good cleaning. I also remove the outer cover to remove any creosote that has built up. It is real important to make sure the air control gate makes good contact with the gasket to keep smoke from escaping during shutdown. I usually do this in mid season also to keep from having smoke problems. ( my unit is in my basement and the wife doesn't like it when the house gets smokey.) Make sure not to damage the gasket during cleaning- a good fit will keep creosote in the air control gate to a minim,um. I don't understand why you are operating the air gate by hand, is the motor burned out- Jim

I finally contacted the Pachecos and took a trip to buy a new refractory. They have several on hand and the son Bob is handling the orders. Manuel just got out of the hospital after an accident. They told me that they should be back up and running for parts in about a week and to call at 978-422-6950.

On the front of my boiler there is a timer connected to the front air intake unit goes up to 4min. Is this just for getting ther intial fire going? How long should I set it for? I had a solid fuel tech come over and he cleaned the lower heat tubes and such, seemed to think the unit was in good shape and that I shouldn't have any problems. He also said the Essex was plumbed in the line with my oil Pensotti furnace. The way he explained it to me was that when the Essex started to die down from not being refueled the Pensotti would jump in and provided the needed heat. Does this sound right? I will work on some pictures of my setup so everyone can get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Chimney liner in on its way. Also got my first load of wood but, if I need 8 cords I'm gonna need a lot more. Steve page 2 would be awesome if i could get a copy. I also think we are missing some of the higher pages as well I have up to page 19 and remeber reading to refer to page 21 for refractory information. Not sure though.

Slowly getting there.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.