Estwing Fireside Friend review...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
I had been thinking about getting one of these for some time and it arrived 2 weeks ago...at 4lbs it is not light weight but I have found that it is easy to handle...even one handed....the little Fiskars hatchet it replaced was just not up to the task of splitting the larger oak splits that I like running in my stove...it would take multiple swings with the under weight Fiskars hatchet....not so with the Estwing...I think of it as a mini maul...best $30 I have spent!It came with a nice heavy ballistic nylon case as well..

Attachments

• b0SiYvxRSy6a3pGAX6KU%Q.jpg
    b0SiYvxRSy6a3pGAX6KU%Q.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 173
  • NvrVdz+4Tm+umRnrO1PWQA.jpg
    NvrVdz+4Tm+umRnrO1PWQA.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Rx2H015gSQyEa77+QHIqWg.jpg
    Rx2H015gSQyEa77+QHIqWg.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 160
Sweet! It's so great when you get a new tool and it does exactly what you wanted it to do. Heating with wood is a lot of work - it's always smart to change/add tools or techniques that will make things easier.

Reactions: Tar12
I've had one of these for 5 years. I wouldn't use it on wedges if I got a new one as years of using it on wedges has deformed the back end pretty badly. Nonetheless, it's great for when I've split rounds in slabs instead of splits. Makes real quick work of slab wood :)

Reactions: Tar12