Etched glass, brand new stove?!?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

metalman570

Jan 12, 2021
Jamestown, NY
Hey folks,
I have a brand new Harman XXV with 545 hours on it and already the glass is etched. My previous XXV (20 yo) and my 15 year old accentra insert did not have etched glass. Is this typical? I hope not...
Eric

Etched by what?

That requires at least a picture....

My 20-year-old stove has hot ash fired at it 24/7 for 7 months of the year and it is as good as new
Are you sure it is etched and not just dirty?

Reactions: tbear853
Again, picture required. Only thing I can think of that might 'etch' the view glass is using a caustic cleaner on it. It's thermal glass and very resistant to any form of crazing.

Both P61’s I’ve picked up had scratches on the glass, and it looks like it was due to previous owners trying to scrape the creosote off instead of wiping with a degreaser and/or cleaning regularly. The glass is ceramic as far as I know and scratches easily. I replaced both with new just to be safe.

The rough, cloudy area (etching) is located just above the flame in this picture, of course on the inside of the door. I have NEVER used ANY cleaner on my glass. Just water. Did the first full clean of the stove this morning since new. Before emptying the ash pan I wetted a paper towel and dipped it in the ashes and attempted to gently scrub the area and this is what I was left with. Its as if it was sandblasted. Using same pellets used for the last 20 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0191[1].JPG
    IMG_0191[1].JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 137
I never attempt to clean even warm glass, just wait until it's cold, then remove the faux log to get access, lay log aside, unroll an old bag, lay it flat and either remove excess black soot with a plastic vacuum nozzle or a paint brush, keeping the vacuum running and the nozzle close, then I use a single paper towel and a spritz of Windex to take off smudges, looks new at only 28 years young. After vacuuming the faux log I remount it, ... door is done. No oils, no tricks, no polishes, no scraping.

I know what fire looks like and I know the glass will soot up in a day or so of use, the soot doesn't hurt it. Not like I'm gonna leave it on there forever.

Attachments

• good (3) 640w.jpg
    good (3) 640w.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: SidecarFlip
Use my paintbrush method in between cleanings to remove the haze / soot. I do mine maybe every other day. Take a cheap paintbrush (I use the chip brushes Harbor Freight sells 10 for 5 bucks) and brush the glass off, a swipe across the top and then vertically to the bottom. Gets the glass clean and only takes a minute.

You have to use a NATURAL BRISTLE paintbrush, not a poly one, the poly one will melt to the glass because it will be HOT. I just open the door when it's going and brush the glass off. In fact, I rarely clean mine anymore, the brush trick works very well. You have a defective pane in there. I'd be willing to bet Harman replaces it, no questions asked, or you can. Glass replacement isn't a big deal but you will need a new gasket to go with the pane.

I got a small scratch in mine from dipping a wet newspaper in ash to clean the glass. Pretty sure I picked up a clinker.

Since then I just use the wet newspaper alone and it works great on the glass. No cost of cleaning products.

Be careful using newspaper. The ink in the printing might react with the ash and glass. I use a paper towel and water when I clean mine which is rare. Most times just the bristle brush does a good job.

Reactions: railfanron
I agree with Sidecar. I use a brush every 3 days or so and a wet paper towel every couple of weeks. I have never used ash to clean.
Ron

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I agree with Sidecar. I use a brush every 3 days or so and a wet paper towel every couple of weeks. I have never used ash to clean.
Ron
Not being a chemist, I have no idea what the glass is made of other that it's states it's a 'mineral glass' whatever that is but mine don't seem all that hard like ordinary glass or Pyrex is, so I try not to 'dry rub' mine at all. Mine has a lot of fine scratches in it, heck it's over 20 years old so it's had a ton of cleanings, but the paintbrush seems to handle it quite well so it's what I use now. I used to do the paper towel thing with some ash but I don't anymore. Squeaky clean glass isn't a big priority with me, heat is.

Bought new bristle brushes today while buying some more pellets to just have a buffer, at the SS Co-op, 6 in a pack for about $6, got home, unloaded my pellets (just 25 bags, I had 10 left so now I have 35) ... then I tried the bristle brush on the hot glass, worked perfectly! I don't think it's any less clean than Windex got it when cold. Less messy too than doing the Windex cold every few weeks. Just opened the door and laid an empty pellet bag on the hearth, then roll the ends up, fold, toss the bag. gonna do that more often I think, just when ever emptying the pan maybe. Co-op has just 735 bags of these good pellets left. I'll get a couple ton here soon.

Last edited:
I'm getting lazy, don't even bother with laying anything under the open door to catch the brushed off ash, just let it fall on the brick hearth (my hearth pad is all brick ) and when I vacuum out the stove which I do every few days (because corn is inherently a filthy ash producer), I just suck up the ash on the bricks.

HF is cheaper on brushes btw. My wife absconded with a couple. Seems as though they make dandy 'baster brushes' for roasts in the oven too.

Cold here this AM. 18. Stove is on Notch 5 and it's 71 in the house, 45%RH. Looks like I'll end the season with about 5 ton of corn on hand and 3 pallets of pellets. I'll shrink wrap the remaining pellets and the left over corn will all be in Tyvek bags so they are moisture proof. I'm burning all the corn in the Supersacks which have to be returned anyway, along with the hardwood pallets. Put what is left in the back of the barn until next fall and call it good. Gives the barn cats a nice place to sleep and watch over their 'domain'.

I'm getting lazy, don't even bother with laying anything under the open door to catch the brushed off ash, just let it fall on the brick hearth (my hearth pad is all brick ) and when I vacuum out the stove which I do every few days (because corn is inherently a filthy ash producer), I just suck up the ash on the bricks.

HF is cheaper on brushes btw. ... etc ...
Well, mine is stone & mortar, but it is also raised ... and so I sit on it at times. I also stand on it to fill hopper, and I try not to track the soot across the carpet.

I think $6 for 6 is cheap enough to just leave hanging at top of stairs. I was already at the SS anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Washed-Up
No carpet here. Engineered hardwood floors. I don't do carpet well. Just a place to collect cat hair.