Europe Inspection Part Jotul Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OZME

Oct 26, 2007
Maine
I just bought a Jotul Castine 400 and can't wait to fire it up... am waiting for a day when the wife and baby are out of the house so I can do the "burn off"
I have a question about a spare part I received with the stove. It is labelled EUR and in the manual is listed as Europe Inspection cover... part 43 of parts list in manual....http://www.jotul.us/FileArchive/Tec...F 400 Castine/Manual_F_400_USA_P01_180607.pdf
I am wondering what it does??
Any ideas?

It's a slightly ported manifold for the primary air control. I don't know why it's included with the US version. Set it aside as a nice example of casting.

Thanks. Will it let more air in than the US part? Does it distribute the air differently? Why would it be different from EUR to USA? EPA regulations?

I just installed mine, and would like to know as well. :cheese:

BTW, Ozme getting them out of the house is a good idea. It took about the 5th burn to 600 before the smell (and smoke) lessened.

I tried installing mine, and it does let more air in, right though the opening in it. It is good for getting the stove going, and when you damp the stove right down it doesn't smolder as much. It's also easier to really get the stove pumping out the heat, but it reduces the effectiveness of the airwash, since a portion of the combustion air is no longer passing over the glass, and if you really do want to damp down hard, it's no longer possible. I plan to switch back to the US part and see how I feel about it. The reason I switched in the first place was that I was finding starting to be a pain sometimes, if the wood was less than perfect. Of course opening the ash pan takes care of any pains with this stove, but requires diligence to avoid heating up too fast.

I expect I'll prefer it with the US part in place - cleaner glass and the ability to damp down further vs. faster starting - as long as I can still get enough heat out of the stove, I'll probably go with cleaner glass.

If anyone else has experience with this, please chime in!

Opening the door a crack is the recommended procedure. I would get some good dry kindling (try a cabinet or millworking shop) and just use the main door for admitting more air to start the fire.

Nevermind - read the date wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.