EV’s: Regenerative suspension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just don’t see how you would get that much energy out. Sure some by-pass shocks with large reservoirs might have to manage heat while doing some extreme driving, but remember what’s happening. You hit a bump the wheel goes up (increases potential energy) then it goes down releasing the stored energy.
Yes there is some friction by design to absorb the shock but it was some meaningful amount they would at least increase the surface area to dissipate all that Heat energy.

It appears to be rotating generator? I’d definitely design something linear.

Better idea would be to tax the crap out of French fries. Think of the energy savings and extra range if would have if our obesity rate was cut by a 1/3;)

I agree that a linear mechanism would appear to be more direct, and is likely where this tech would migrate. But I wouldn't dismiss the energy potential or reduce it to just "you hit a bump". Suspension is constantly moving, if only small amounts. The forces exerted on it by every change in velocity (cornering, stopping, accelerating), in addition to every bump and wiggle in our crappy pothole-laden lunar-surface'esque northeast roadways, represent a lot of potential energy. In addition to regen braking, it's possible it could offer a significant extension in range.

If they can avoid having a generator running overnight for the trucks, then it could extend the range for cars, imo. (Even when the work done(energy extractable) by the suspension will be less for lighter cars.)

The issue with these types of systems on trucks is the weight added.
Additional weight typically means less cargo can be carried so less money is made.
This is the challenge now for the electrification of heavy vehicles subject to weight restrictions.

Most states provide additional weight allowances for onboard APUs so maybe these types of energy harvesting systems could qualify similarly in the future.

Where is the energy going now without this system?
Website is absent of any data about how much power can be generated.

Reactions: Ashful
Now: heat.
Power: 15 watt or so, if I judge the LEDs.
Having 15 W with a duty cycle of 25 percent gives (for a 12 hr trip) 45 Wh... Enough to keep a 10 W led going for a few hrs. Multiply by 6 (truck, not trailer) wheels, and lights are taken care of. Not a fridge....

I also think that if this thing is going to produce more power (movement more geared, so harder to move the arms) the suspension needs to be retuned (weaker spring put in).

Reactions: Ashful
Now: heat.
Power: 15 watt or so, if I judge the LEDs.
Having 15 W with a duty cycle of 25 percent gives (for a 12 hr trip) 45 Wh... Enough to keep a 10 W led going for a few hrs. Multiply by 6 (truck, not trailer) wheels, and lights are taken care of. Not a fridge....

I also think that if this thing is going to produce more power (movement more geared, so harder to move the arms) the suspension needs to be retuned (weaker spring put in).
I arrived at about 4 watts for a passenger car based on spring rates bump rates and suspension travel and some efficiency guess. Seems plausible.

So .2-1 kWh every 12. Probably cheaper to to increase the battery storage capacity by 1% or add a solar panel.

Yeah, I went with a truck (for trailer) as they noted that those cabs run generators at night (see any parking lot of a Walmart near i-40 at night...)

Reactions: EbS-P
Definitely. Assumed this would be part of the package. And this doesn't necessarily mean more wheel travel, with added resistance provided by the generator. Dynamic loading could actually improve ride handling, with some effort, similar to dynamic fluid suspension.

They had better check with patent office asap.

Traffic Sign In San Juan Capistrano, California

The rotary design makes sense. It incorporates a flywheel and clutch mechanism to keep the generator rotating.