Ever Hear of a "Big Ben" Wood Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gift Horse

Nov 29, 2005
I just purchased a used wood insert and have finished the basic installation. As I've inspected it I've decided that it could use a replacement gastket on the door.

My problem is that I can't figure out "who" made the insert. The only marking anywhere is the plate on the front door that says simply "Big Ben". I don't know if that's the manufacturer or more likely the model.

I'd like to identify the manufacturer to see if I can track down original parts etc..

Has anyone ever heard of a "Big Ben"? Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Big Ben.jpg
    Big Ben.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 936
Can you tell us here on the forum how you installed the insert and what flue liner connection you made?

It's a standard insulated flex liner with a 6" coupler on a custom cowling. Does that somehow help identify the manufacturer?

Better than Ben, Fisher and a older Timberlines were basiclly the same plate steel stoves. I think Bob Villa site has a thread on this similar stoves and forum discussion. This manufacture along with others went out of business because they could not produce a stove to meet the 1990 EPA clean air and effeciencies requirements. All stoves manufactured prior to 1979 were not required to be tested or UL listed. Todays code requires all used or new installed stoves to be listed. Meaning one cannot legally install an unlisted stove. These stoves are not enviormently friendly, but smoke belching polluting beast. Gaskining I suggest you retro fit whatever will fit the cavity and make and air tight seal. At least that will allow for more air control, and hopefully prevent runaway un controled fires. Im my town If we get a smoke complaint, which has already occured, We check out the permits for that location. If permited and passed inspection, that is the extent of my dealings with the complaint. It now becomes a board of health issue, not a building inspection issue. If found with no permit and inspection It has to be removed. As it was never legally installed. therefore it should not be there. You then, can apply for a permit and install it legally, providing it is listed and is installed code compliant, and passes inspection

Are you refering to a national code? This is out in the country and the county doesn't even a building code. Rare, I realize, but like I say; it's out in the sticks. When I built the log cabin there wasn't even an inspection. Septic and well inspections yes, but no building code.

The old tree falling in the woods, does it make a sound? ITs a national building code, that all states have adopted.
With no inspectors or code enforcement, you are own your own to do as you please. I just hope the fire dept is not
as remote. Do they sell Carbon monixide detectors, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishes, at the village general store.
Can't be that remote you have internet? Enought joking You are already heading in a better direction by applying a vent pipe.
Gasketing the doors will allow you to control wood consumption, control the burn, and burn time. My final safty recomendation is to make sure you metal plated and sealed the damper area. Two reasons to prevent back drafting Carbon Monoxides, and allowing room air to dilute your chimney's draft. Actually a full lenght liner would be best. Since nobody is watching the hen house, I am making you aware of safety issues. I just gasketed a Fisher baby bear stove. I used 58/ or 3/4 " gasket bought at Home depot or Ace Hardware store. To get to fit tight I bent the lever inside the door. That did the trick. Good luck and be safe. I hope my advice helped

Status
Not open for further replies.