Ever seen a totally open fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Heatman

Oct 30, 2020
Seattle
5384DD1D-E02C-4DD4-AEA9-D784912BFA95.jpeg

I’m in the process of making an offer on a house, and this place is cool in a 70s funky kind of way. Has anybody seen a totally open fireplace like this? Is something like this even safe and viable?

I saw photos of the house from 20 years ago, and at some point there was a wood-burning stove there, but it looks like this chimney was built as a real wood-burning fireplace. Then again I don’t really know anything about fireplaces.

Has anybody seen a design like this before?

I’m tempted to buy one of those double sided wood stoves and install it.

View attachment 265860

I’m in the process of making an offer on a house, and this place is cool in a 70s funky kind of way. Has anybody seen a totally open fireplace like this? Is something like this even safe and viable?

I saw photos of the house from 20 years ago, and at some point there was a wood-burning stove there, but it looks like this chimney was built as a real wood-burning fireplace. Then again I don’t really know anything about fireplaces.

Has anybody seen a design like this before?

I’m tempted to buy one of those double sided wood stoves and install it.
I have seen them and they rarely work

I have seen them and they rarely work
I'm guessing the reasons for this are fairly obvious, but would you mind elaborating on what the main reasons for this are, and if they can be updated or modified that would enable it to be a functional fireplace?

I'm guessing the reasons for this are fairly obvious, but would you mind elaborating on what the main reasons for this are, and if they can be updated or modified that would enable it to be a functional fireplace?
There typically is nowhere near enough volume in the flue for the volume of air allowed in by being open on 4 sides.

There typically is nowhere near enough volume in the flue for the volume of air allowed in by being open on 4 sides.
Thanks for the feedback. One more question if you don’t mind. You can see that a wood stove was installed at one point in the house's prior history. Do you think it would be viable to reinstall a new double sided wood stove?

I would hate to have this huge centerpiece fireplace that’s purely decorative.

C04DFEF4-6913-4AF7-9E56-CB4E370D01ED.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback. One more question if you don’t mind. You can see that a wood stove was installed at one point in the house's prior history. Do you think it would be viable to reinstall a new double sided wood stove?

I would hate to have this huge centerpiece fireplace that’s purely decorative.

View attachment 265872
if you can find a double-sided stove sure

Supreme makes one. It has mixed reviews, with complaints about smoke spillage.

and some local commentary

There is also this stove, though I know nothing about it. Not sure where one would buy it, but it may be worth asking them.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
Supreme makes one. It has mixed reviews, with complaints about smoke spillage.

and some local commentary

There is also this stove, though I know nothing about it. Not sure where one would buy it, but it may be worth asking them.
Thanks, I'll look into these 2 units.

I'm obviously total beginner when it comes to fireplaces, but I could in theory modify the existing fireplaces by walling off 2-3 sides to make it viable? I'll of course be consulting with local experts if/when I close on the house, but I'm hoping to have some kind of an idea of what I might be in for.

Anyone else have experience with an open indoor fireplace?

Thanks, I'll look into these 2 units.

I'm obviously total beginner when it comes to fireplaces, but I could in theory modify the existing fireplaces by walling off 2-3 sides to make it viable? I'll of course be consulting with local experts if/when I close on the house, but I'm hoping to have some kind of an idea of what I might be in for.

Anyone else have experience with an open indoor fireplace?

Not that open, but in my first house I had two “regular” open fireplaces. I was young and under the impression is was going to heat my house with open fireplaces.

Absolutely worthless for anything other than “hey that looks neat”

is your plan to heat? If it is, put a stove in it. If the plan is to just have it be pretty, I would put in a double sided gas fireplace of some kind

I love it. Who cares if it is practical, it looks cool. Maybe have some glass panels fabricated that could be attached to the verticals to maintain the look. Custom hinges to allow swing out on two sides for access and cleaning.

Slim fitting ankle high slacks seem to be back in style. Get a pair of those to wear around the house and you are good to go.

Not that open, but in my first house I had two “regular” open fireplaces. I was young and under the impression is was going to heat my house with open fireplaces.

is your plan to heat? If it is, put a stove in it. If the plan is to just have it be pretty, I would put in a double sided gas fireplace of some kind
can't I go for hot AND pretty? :)
I think a double sided wood stove would actually be quite cool, although pretty expensive.
I love it. Who cares if it is practical, it looks cool. Maybe have some glass panels fabricated that could be attached to the verticals to maintain the look. Custom hinges to allow swing out on two sides for access and cleaning.

Slim fitting ankle high slacks seem to be back in style. Get a pair of those to wear around the house and you are good to go.
I'm totally going to be listening to Steely Dan on vinyl next to the fireplace, if I can get it working.

I think a round fire pit burner would look great with the crushed glass, if you have a functioning damper. Other option if you don’t want Gas is an alchohol burner. I arranged 3 smaller ones of this brand and was very happy for several years. https://www.ignisproducts.com/ethanol-fireplace-burners.html/. They claim vent free operation but I don’t think that’s a great idea. The burners are roughly 5,000 BTUs per foot of length. Ethanol is relatively expensive but my wood stove install cost me $5,000 and $500 buys a lot of ethanol.

I don’t like the look of the woodstove as much as the more open appearance if you decision is aesthetically motivated. If you want heat woodstove is the way to go. Personally I would pick design over double sided.
The PE Neo came to mind. No clue if it will fit.

I think a round fire pit burner would look great with the crushed glass, if you have a functioning damper. Other option if you don’t want Gas is an alchohol burner. I arranged 3 smaller ones of this brand and was very happy for several years. https://www.ignisproducts.com/ethanol-fireplace-burners.html/. They claim vent free operation but I don’t think that’s a great idea. The burners are roughly 5,000 BTUs per foot of length. Ethanol is relatively expensive but my wood stove install cost me $5,000 and $500 buys a lot of ethanol.

I don’t like the look of the woodstove as much as the more open appearance if you decision is aesthetically motivated. If you want heat woodstove is the way to go. Personally I would pick design over double sided.
The PE Neo came to mind. No clue if it will fit.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'm curious, is there a specific reason why you would steer away from a double sided stove?

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'm curious, is there a specific reason why you would steer away from a double sided stove?
No. The only thing I know about them is what I’ve read here on the forums. If I had come up with one is that loading the stove could be kinda awkward if the doors are very far back under the top edge. I don’t have good sense of the fireplaces dimensions and know nothing about the dimensions of a possible stove. With a traditional stove you could set it up In a way that the front of the stove was close a front top edge so you don’t have to crawl back under to get a log in the very back/front.

My last piece of completely unsolicited advice is really embrace what is there. We had lots of conversations about how to change our over 6’ wide pink sandstone fireplace. Tile it over, paint it ect. In the end we left it alone and made it center piece of the room just as it was in 1967. That fireplace with its four posts and clear sight line is really something eye catching.

Yes, there was a totally open fireplace in the original Pink Panther film (and I have seen the real thing (i.e. open fireplaces) in Switzerland as well).

As a replacement, there are custom and retail efficient sealed alternatives that can give four sided views of the fire. But such an option may not be permitted in your area due to local regulations.

Simply as an example:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I like it, aesthetically. I'd find a free standing stove (if one will fit) and throw it in there, with a chimney liner and block off plate to keep the heat in the house. Dress up the view from the back with perhaps a painted piece of sheet metal and other hearth appropriate decor. I'd see this as attractive feature on a house. I'm sure many others would feel differently.

I recommended this to a neighbor with a similar fireplace (only open on two sides), tons of free wood, and two boys to help with the wood work. Instead, he installed a pellet stove in the basement that requires purchasing pellets from 30 miles away. They usually have one or two smokey fires in the open fireplace each season for ambiance, then remember that it's dirty, smokey, and sucks more heat out of the house through the draft than it replaces with the radiant heat of the fire. The boys sit inside and play "video games" and watch tic toc videos.

Last edited:
Yes, there was a totally open fireplace in the original Pink Panther film (and I have seen the real thing (i.e. open fireplaces) in Switzerland as well).

As a replacement, there are custom and retail efficient sealed alternatives that can give four sided views of the fire. But such an option may not be permitted in your area due to local regulations.

Simply as an example:

Hope this helps.

I like it, aesthetically. I'd find a free standing stove (if one will fit) and throw it in there, with a chimney liner and block off plate to keep the heat in the house. Dress up the view from the back with perhaps a painted piece of sheet metal and other hearth appropriate decor. I'd see this as attractive feature on a house. I'm sure many others would feel differently.

Thank you both for the feedback.
If I end up closing on the house (pending inspection), I'll bring in a fireplace expert to help determine if this could be used as a traditional fireplace with little to no modification, and if it can’t, I’ll seriously consider installing a woodstove.

Nice. Great looking burn.
Sat. afternoon bev's getting stacked up.
How relaxing.
Not sold on the location of the paper bags! Just a feeling?

Reactions: Heatman
Nice. Great looking burn.
Sat. afternoon bev's getting stacked up.
How relaxing.
Not sold on the location of the paper bags! Just a feeling?
Yeah, need to find a different place for the paper bags and newspaper, for aesthetics, and so I don't burn the house down :)

It's a chilly day here in Seattle, but the Osburn is doing a good job of heating our drafty open floor living room/dining room/kitchen to about 70F.

With respect to the flue, the original one must have been huge?. Did you run a double insulated liner/chimney up the flue and seal off the top of the original flue to get a reasonable draft?.

With respect to the flue, the original one must have been huge?. Did you run a double insulated liner/chimney up the flue and seal off the top of the original flue to get a reasonable draft?.
Yeah, original flue was huge, but at some point in the past, a previous owner cut through the damper and installed a SS liner, insulated the chimney and installed a wood stove.

When I bought the house, the stove was gone but the liner was still there. The contractor who installed my stove thought he could reuse the current liner, but saw that it was split in places, so we ended up installing a new insulated liner, and hooked up the Osburn.

He also fitted a new chimney cap, and while I'm still very much a wood stove newbie, everything looks to be performing well and I'm not seeing any draft issues.... it's actually the opposite, draft is pretty strong.

One thing I noticed that I'm curious about is how the draft gets crazy strong when the stove door is cracked, but becomes less so with the door fully open. I'm sure there's some physics involving pressure that explains this behavior, but was curious if someone could explain it in layman's terms.