Ever seen hedge tall and slender?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at 2 downed hedge trees today, at least they look like hedge when i cut a small notch out of them to see. The thing is they are both tall and slender, like a walnut tree but they are both bright mustard yellow inside, have i got the wrong wood?

It can grow tall and (somewhat) straight - especially if it's not tangled up in a hedge row, or someone 'pruned' the main stem to make it bushy, and it's not amongst a tight group of other trees.

Any leaves left? Hedge and mulberry are pretty easy to spot the difference...Hedge left, Mulberry right

Attachments

• hedge leaf.jpg
    hedge leaf.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 328
  • mulberry leaf.jpg
    mulberry leaf.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 313
to me the hedge trees look like an apple tree on steroids!

The 2 trees are both down dead no leaves. I cut a slice off and brought it to work and 2 guys said hedge. But i told them about the tall slender tree and they both said no way hedge. It also was a bit light in weight for hedge but the color is EXACTLY hedge!

Mulberry can easily be mistaken for hedge/osage. It's also a geat burning wood. Osage is a medium sized tree. I think the record tree is about 50 ft. I rarely see them taller than 30 ft.
The thickest trunks I've seen are no more than 18". Large thorns are always present on the smaller branches. I've never seen one that is straight and slender and I've seen a lot of them. They are easy to pick out, when I'm driving down the road in the late fall because they are one of the last trees to lose their leaves.
Here are some pics of different osage trees in the yard.
I think of them like a savings account.
2nid75d.jpg

vcthqw.jpg

2jwmcp.png

2hxy4i.jpg

5lcv46.jpg

aw3vbr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.