Ever thought about replacing your glass with a piece of cast iron?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would never.
besides liking looking at the flame, i like to see what's going on with the burn..

and since the vast bulk of your heat is coming from the exchanger, i'd have to guess that any difference in radiance between glass and iron would be basically meaningless.

Doing more research it looks like the glass radiates more heat, so guess the glass stays. I,m just nervous of it cracking, but I guess its proven to be safe. No worry then!

Last edited:
dont sweat about it breaking, although it certainly can break, its fairly rare. Usually the result of a family member doing something they weren't supposed to near the stove and not admitting to it.....

I agree with Earl. I would never replace glass, not only for looks but so I can see the operation of the stove to help diagnose any problems

I would never do that. Unless the glass broke and it was temporary to keep the stove running until the new glass arrived.
Denny

I was in a pinch my first year with an older VC. The glass was broken in 2 places when I got it, and I was tight for money and needed the stove to run. So for 2 mos. The glass was replaced with 1/4" plate steel. It did the job, and luckily no warps or further damage. In a pinch, yes...for permanent no.

I can't really say I could feel a difference at all. The sq inch of glass space is so little compared to the stove itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.