Every heard of this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
I was reading Mary Ellens Best of helpful hints. A book my mother inlaw had.
It said to keep creasote levels down throw salt on the fire.
I've read some different things about keeping creasote from building up but I've never heard that one.

One of the oldest old wive's tales around. That and throwing empty aluminum cans in the fire. The salt is a darn good way to wreck a stove. That is why stove makers tell you not to burn driftwood because of the salt in it corrodes the stove and the pipe.

The pure and simple way to prevent creosote accumulation is the right sized flue sealed and burning good dry wood hot. Do that and with the EPA secondary burn stoves excessive creosote just ain't gonna happen.

no man said:
I was reading Mary Ellens Best of helpful hints. A book my mother inlaw had.
It said to keep creasote levels down throw salt on the fire.
I've read some different things about keeping creasote from building up but I've never heard that one.

Trust me on this one, no man...I know I steered you off course on the riddling thing, sorry. To inhibit the formation/accumulation of creosote in your stovepipe & chimney, nothing can hold a candle to tossing a live Ferret into your stove when you've got a really good fire going. About once every fourth day during the coldest part of winter when you're burning consistently should do the trick. If you can't get your hands on a supply of Ferrets, then Weasels will do, but they're just not quite as effective, and they don't come in as convenient a size as the Ferrets. Give it a try, you'll be amazed at the results. Rick

(no man...I'm KIDDING!)

Actually fossil "The Chimney Sweeping Log" is made of compressed ferrets. Seasoned a year.

Ferrets...they're not just for breakfast anymore. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. Rick

Hey I didn't beleive the book. When it told me to wash my car with kerosene
and brush my teeth with strawberries I kinda figured the books was out of date.

Ahhh, I love that strawberry fresh feeling in the morning!!!

no man said:
Hey I didn't beleive the book. When it told me to wash my car with kerosene
and brush my teeth with strawberries I kinda figured the books was out of date.

Had to have been a misprint...I've always done that the other way around. Works for me. Rick

I read it was snakes ... but I guess if you feed a ferret to a snake and wait a week, you'll get the best of both worlds?

(I'm being a smart a$$, as usual :p)

Love the ferret thing, BTW *bfg*

"Got Ferrets?"

BrotherBart said:
"Got Ferrets?"

No, but we can try to ferret out one.

BAD!!!! What did we do to deserve this PUNishment?

Maybe a pound of ferrous sulphate would substitute?

Actually the OP would be inSALTing the stove. If he tosses in a couple of old AA cells, he could be charged with a SALT and battery.

I'll go to bed now...

Ken

Any minute now some old timer, better be older than 61, is going to chime in and go on and on about the virtues of tossing salt in the stove or tossing his empty beer cans in it.

At which time I will refrain from telling him where to put his salt and or beer cans.

Yeah, BB, he will tell you how he used to walk uphill both ways to get a nickel pop in an aluminum can and walk home (uphill again) to toss it in the stove. Of course it will be in the middle of a snowstorm and he won't have shoes...but he was thankfull for what he had!!!

burntime said:
Yeah, BB, he will tell you how he used to walk uphill both ways to get a nickel pop in an aluminum can and walk home (uphill again) to toss it in the stove. Of course it will be in the middle of a snowstorm and he won't have shoes...but he was thankfull for what he had!!!

Been there, done that. Except it was a glass bottle. The Coke was frozen by the time I got home. Had to whittle the aluminum shavings off of a '63 Oldsmobile V-6 engine block. :lol:

Was that durring the lightning storms?

BrotherBart said:
burntime said:

Been there, done that. Except it was a glass bottle. The Coke was frozen by the time I got home. Had to whittle the aluminum shavings off of a '63 Oldsmobile V-6 engine block. :lol:
You guys better get to bed and put the beer can down. :coolsmirk:

no man said:
Wow I leave for 3 and a half hours and your still wanting to throw beer cans in the stove.

Gotta say-no man--you got a great sense of humour.!! There was another fellow a few weeks back that asked about wet frozen wood drying and he got ticked at all of us. Seeing as how you are such a nice guy with a good sense of humor, I am not gonna pull the wool over your eyes.

My father used to use a product called "red devil",, that no longer seems to be available in Canada. However, TSP will give you the same desired results with no harm done to your SS liner. but really, the best thing you can do is burn nice dry,seasoned wood, and then you shouldn`t have to clean your chimney more than once a year. and as far as salt is concerned,, well, would you buy a car that had been parked in the ocean at high tide even for one hour? exactly, that stuff will corrode your chimney just as quickly.

Now remember my name is Sonny, not fossil, so if you don`t believe what I`m advising you, then just search for TSP on this forum and you will see that I am giving you the straight goods. It may help , or may not, but no harm done using it. say about 1 tablespoon every 2 weeks.

Always willing to try to help someone with a good sense of humor and not afraid to laugh at himself. Still think that fossil owes you at least a 6 pack however for all that extra restacking ;-)

sonnyinbc said:
Always willing to try to help someone with a good sense of humor and not afraid to laugh at himself. Still think that fossil owes you at least a 6 pack however for all that extra restacking ;-)

A six pack or a ferret!

Status
Not open for further replies.