Everything Drolet Tundra - Heatmax...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Final product comes from Canada, but where are the raw materials sourced from? Sometimes it's a play on words.
I could honestly careless where the parts come from. Who has time to nitpick the hundreds of different parts on a stove or furnace and figure out where each part is made. As long as it works and heats my house, that is what it is for. I'd rather be drinking beer and watching the flames through the glass.

Hey guys,

With all of the above being said. Should I take my Tundra back or start my install?? Advice needed.. Thanks. As it sits its still in my garage...

Thanks Dave

Well, I think I will wait just long enough to see how SBI handles these claims on their lifetime firebox warranty, which I'm assuming will be no problem, and then proceed, barring any new information in the meantime that complicates things.

i think brenndatomu said it best, if your not in a rush to install give me a week or so 2 hear what SBI says about the issue and ill repost anything i hear as soon as i hear back from them.

Thanks guys. Curious as to know if its a certain lot number that have these issues or certain serial number set, or has that information become available? Where would I look for the serial number on my particular furnace, or is it in the operating instruction packet? Thanks again...

Dave

Build date and ser # is on the safety info stickers, top of the blower housing.

I know this would void their warranty, but I just wonder if these cracks could be welded up. The cracks have relieved some of the stress, so maybe drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it, and then weld 'er up? I dunno, I'm not a professional welder, I just play one at work :p ::-) ;lol

I actually was thinking about that too? I'm an expert only at breathing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Dave

Interesting, as I was set on buying a Tundra until now. If I'm going to replace my 40 year old pre-EPA unit however, it damn well better last me another 40 years. Like most homesteaders, I'm perfectly capable of welding, however most of us don't have 240 plugs in our basements.

I could honestly careless where the parts come from. Who has time to nitpick the hundreds of different parts on a stove or furnace and figure out where each part is made. As long as it works and heats my house, that is what it is for. I'd rather be drinking beer and watching the flames through the glass.
If you don't care why mention where the furnace is made in the first place?

If you don't care why mention where the furnace is made in the first place?
I brought it up because everyone was saying this and that is made in China and this and that is made in the U.S. Maybe I brought it up just to piss you off. Not like I care about that either.

Interesting, as I was set on buying a Tundra until now. If I'm going to replace my 40 year old pre-EPA unit however, it damn well better last me another 40 years. Like most homesteaders, I'm perfectly capable of welding, however most of us don't have 240 plugs in our basements.
Most people do have them in the kitchen or laundry room. Heck it wouldn't take much to put a 240v recepticle in the basement if your electrical panel is in the basement. Short run of conduit, 4x4 box, recepticle, breaker,wire and you're done. Sure would be easier than hauling th e furnace out of the basement.

Its the thinking and attitudes like this that is weakening America. Be American, buy American.

Reactions: Buzz Saw
I brought it up because everyone was saying this and that is made in China and this and that is made in the U.S. Maybe I brought it up just to piss you off. Not like I care about that either.
Easy does it. No cyber fighting for me. Go pick a fight somewhere else.

Its the thinking and attitudes like this that is weakening America. Be American, buy American.
Because everyone has the time and money to research products? Of course I'd buy a Kuuma if I could afford it. Must be nice to be rich and afford everything you want. Unfortunately most people can't afford everything.

Should I take my Tundra back or start my install??

I agree with the others, I'd just sit tight and see how this plays out. Probably not going to burn much more wood before October anyways. BPwelding, thanks for taking this on and sharing with the rest of us.

I know this would void their warranty, but I just wonder if these cracks could be welded up. The cracks have relieved some of the stress, so maybe drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it, and then weld 'er up? I dunno, I'm not a professional welder, I just play one at work

Yea I wondered the same theory. I'm not sure how well that would work. Drilling a hole would be helpful, but then I'd wonder if welding it over would just obviate the stress distribution the circular hole might otherwise provide. Of course some stress has already relieved, but I suspect there is probably more where that came from. I guess we'll see how this plays out...

Reactions: TheBigIron
As for the cracks on mine. I sent an email to SBI and I called one of the techs there also. He said someone would be getting back to me shortly.

Appreciate you guys getting the ball rolling on these issues. My serial number is 1432 so Ill be interested to hear if SBI received a defective order of steel like bpwelding2005 had mentioned in an earlier post..

Appreciate you guys getting the ball rolling on these issues. My serial number is 1432 so Ill be interested to hear if SBI received a defective order of steel like bpwelding2005 had mentioned in an earlier post..
Hopefully it was just a bad batch.

Hopefully it was just a bad batch.

I don't know the typical batch size, but if so that's a lot of metal. At least 500 serial numbers between yours (3xx) and mine (8xx). If FIFO material. Hopefully you're right.

I don't know the typical batch size, but if so that's a lot of metal. At least 500 serial numbers between yours (3xx) and mine (8xx). If FIFO material. Hopefully you're right.
Hopefully they have it figured out. They seem to be good at fixing things that have come up.

Rick Carrigan's #38 post on AS stated that SBI replaced his unit, so at least they stand behind their product. Hopefully they take can do the proper research on it and figure out what is causing this...

Reactions: Wisneaky
Because everyone has the time and money to research products? Of course I'd buy a Kuuma if I could afford it. Must be nice to be rich and afford everything you want. Unfortunately most people can't afford everything.

Ist off, I never mentioned the word Kuuma in this entire thread. 2nd, if someone is going to make an educated purchase of an item that cost a lot of money to them, then yes they would put in the time. Ergo the phrase ( Educated purchase) This also does not cost money. But if you have furnace envy over not being (rich), you could support your neighbors and countrymen, by investing in them. Which will bring more/better jobs and wages, then you too can be (rich). Or just whore yourself to the lowest bidder and support another country and be as you are.

Ist off, I never mentioned the word Kuuma in this entire thread. 2nd, if someone is going to make an educated purchase of an item that cost a lot of money to them, then yes they would put in the time. Ergo the phrase ( Educated purchase) This also does not cost money. But if you have furnace envy over not being (rich), you could support your neighbors and countrymen, by investing in them. Which will bring more/better jobs and wages, then you too can be (rich). Or just whore yourself to the lowest bidder and support another country and be as you are.
This is a Tundra thread. Unless you have any input on the Tundra than this thread probably isn't for you.

This is a Tundra thread. Unless you have any input on the Tundra than this thread probably isn't for you.

Your right. I should just bury my head in the sand and not pay attention to what's going on. Or make a comment about being surprised china made anything good. If you read everyone of my posts in this thread there is not one negative statement about this furnace from me. I have a wood furnace, so a thread about a wood furnace IS for me. Not that I care what anyone (especially commies) thinks what "probably isn't for me"

Lets try to keep this more or less on topic and pizzin contest/product bashing free so as to keep this thread open, helpful, and ongoing for everybody.
Post #1...

Kuuma owners been pokin the bear a bit here lately...n the bear is lil cranky from findin out his canukistan made honey pot is crackin up.

Also, I did a lil reading in the big Tundra thread over on AS, post #183 from Fyrebug.."We buy next to nothing from China" ... so it would appear this problem is not from cheap chinese steel