Everything Fisher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jwalter04 shoot me a message for your screen you need, just let me know if you would like a square style screen or an arched style. Have owned more Fishers as an enthusiast and restorer.....they could have been sold with either. Some claim "correct" screen is square doored to square screen and radiused or arched top to arched to doors....thats not true. Enjoying the unique and cool details of my solid brass doored XL beauty! Pics soon to be up, amazing.....Ive owned 3 XL's to date. Each stove is a little different all having slight details unlike the other!!! :) yup

Reactions: Mdfisher
That is correct, either screen could have came with Cathedral (arched top) Doors.
A newer flat top screen works with either type door since it fastens to the stove with clips through the opening. (Older flat top screens have ears that stick out and use the door hinges to hold them on. These may or may not work depending on hinge height) Pictured in post #372 of this thread.

A arched top screen relies on door hinges to hold it, and does not work with flat top doors. (Hinges farther apart, shown on right below)

With your Cathedral doors, either screen can be used. Here's what happens when a newer style arched screen is put on with flat top doors. Notice the bottom ears hang above the bottom hinges.
Insert Front Screen w Cathedral Doors 10-28-80.jpgInsert Screen mismatch 3.jpg

Thanks for replying. I'll definitely will do the baffle thing. Should I sandblast it? Sand it? What kind of paint to use?

Jwalter04 shoot me a message for your screen you need, just let me know if you would like a square style screen or an arched style. Have owned more Fishers as an enthusiast and restorer.....they could have been sold with either. Some claim "correct" screen is square doored to square screen and radiused or arched top to arched to doors....thats not true. Enjoying the unique and cool details of my solid brass doored XL beauty! Pics soon to be up, amazing.....Ive owned 3 XL's to date. Each stove is a little different all having slight details unlike the other!!! :) yup

I suppose I'd prefer the arched style similar to the picture on the left that Coaly posted in response to my original question. I have the Nickel plated doors and consider it a travesty to swing them aside in favor of a screen, (not to mention the loss in efficiency), however we are eliminating the open fireplace by putting the insert in and the GF is already crying about not being able to see the fire. Almost as much as I cry when I pay the oil bill. Any info on procuring a screen would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

As some of you that have been around this place for a while may remember that I had a VC Dutchwest insert that literally fell apart on the hearth and after much discussion both here and with the manufacture they warrantied my unit with another, just recently that one as well bit the dust (Broken door and the blower was shot). Being an avid Craigslist viewer in our area I've purchased several Fisher stoves for very little from local sellers, heres what replaced the Dutchwest just last week! Has 2 cute variable speed blowers that really put out the heat! Purchased for $75 and I've got another $75 into it in brick and paint and flex pipe adapters. Think I did very well!
Now I can actually heat water and cook on it as well! :)

2012-03-25_11-36-53_137.jpg

2012-03-25_11-36-40_339.jpg

2012-03-25_11-37-12_750.jpg

As some of you that have been around this place for a while may remember that I had a VC Dutchwest insert that literally fell apart on the hearth and after much discussion both here and with the manufacture they warrantied my unit with another, just recently that one as well bit the dust (Broken door and the blower was shot). Being an avid Craigslist viewer in our area I've purchased several Fisher stoves for very little from local sellers, heres what replaced the Dutchwest just last week! Has 2 cute variable speed blowers that really put out the heat! Purchased for $75 and I've got another $75 into it in brick and paint and flex pipe adapters. Think I did very well!
Now I can actually heat water and cook on it as well! :)

Any chance of getting some pics of the inside. I'm looking to retrofit my pre-epa insert with a baffle and would like to see how "they" did it.

Heres what I did, you have to measure corner to corner of your doorway as thats the biggest piece of metal that going to slide inside, I subtracted an inch or 2 for the legs as I made a baffle thats 4 inches higher at the door end and sits on the edge of the block angle iron on the sides and back., I also placed firebrick on top of the baffle to absorb heat from the baffle as well as stopping flames from going up the sides.. Remember the gap between the front and the roof has to equal at least in square inches the same as your stove pipe exit..

T
2012-02-16_11-12-59_202.jpg

2012-02-16_11-13-40_953.jpg

Years ago I realized there was a need for Fisher Stove information, and started this thread as a way to compile the stoves info in the same place. This has proved to be challenging with so many models and a wide variety of questions.
I hope this thread has answered most questions ! To make it easier for anyone to find specific model information, you can now search and comment on the “model specific thread” of your stove.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-papa-mama-and-baby-bear-details-bear-series.86736/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-grandma-and-grandpa-bear-details-fireplace-series.69448/
and soon the “other” double door stoves and Inserts; Honey, Teddy, and Goldilocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.